Need basic carb help **** Updated with Plug Chop Pics

A reference for the PWK carbs...
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Ran out of time to do all I wanted with the needle. I first tried #5 clip knowing that should be rich. As soon as I went for a ride I was extremely rich starting around 1/4 throttle all the way until it cleared up once into the meat of the powerband. I then went to #3 clip and still have a little "rich" feeling just before the powerband; however, as soon as more throttle is given the 4 stroking immediately goes away. I was told by a few pro engine builders that that was good to provide a little fuel before the powerband. Don't know if that is correct but I figured they knew what they were talking about. I wanted to try #2 clip but I can live with #3 for right now. Still not positive if the 152 MJ is the right choice so I figured the #3 clip would give a little insurance since I am not usually wide open throttle anyways.

Do you'll think I made the right choice on the main jet?
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Doesn't look like going to 3rd is enough to get a good read...
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Need basic carb help **** Updated with Plug Chop Pics

Post by CoronasAndChips »

02' KDX 200
FMF Gnarly Gold Series Pipe
Power Core2 Silencer
MT VForce 3 Carbon Reeds
K&N Filter
Swiss Cheese Airbox Lid
152 MJ
45 Pilot
AS 1 3/4 out
Stock Needle on 4th slot down
1039' Elev
700+ Miles on this plug running Klotz R-50, Klotz TW3 Synthetic SNOWMOBILE OIL @ 40:1 ($11 per QT vs $11 a pint of R-50)
Last 175+ miles Amsoil Dominator @ 50:1
When I am moving with the throttle barley cracked to keep momentum my bike sounds like a smoker needing to cough out a lung or a irritating girl with "voice Fry". Any more throttle and it runs perfect.
Last edited by CoronasAndChips on 10:10 am Aug 24 2012, edited 2 times in total.
Elbow grease contains no trans fat!
CoronasAndChips on XBox Live
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

I don't have anywhere to test with a longer run. Do you think a 152 is safe or do I need to go richer? I guess the good thing is I also don't ride wide open.
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

I'm @ 1039' elevation here I'm new to riding in the dirt so I am still FULL ON, chop throttle, brake, turn, FULL On again till next corner. Not smooth by any means. It's better to be rich than lean anyways. You can change a fouled plug if it was that bad, easier than changing pistons.
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

*edited my Pic post with needle setting.
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

CoronasAndChips wrote:02' KDX 200
FMF Gnarly Gold Series Pipe
Power Core2 Silencer
MT VForce 3 Carbon Reeds
K&N Filter
Swiss Cheese Airbox Lid
152 MJ
45 Pilot
AS 1 3/4 out
Stock Needle on 4th slot down
1039' Elev
700+ Miles on this plug running Klotz R-50, Klotz TW3 Synthetic SNOWMOBILE OIL @ 40:1 ($11 per QT vs $11 a pint of R-50)
Last 175+ miles Amsoil Dominator @ 50:1
When I am moving with the throttle barley cracked to keep momentum my bike sounds like a smoker needing to cough out a lung or a irritating girl with "voice Fry". Any more throttle and it runs perfect.

You are a little richer than I am since I use 40:1, 40 PJ and #3 needle clip. Mine also does the same thing with low throttle input but a little more than "barely cracked." That is probably due to my 40 PJ instead of your 45 PJ, but I have been known to be wrong on more than one occassion.

So how is it that a higher gear would do better on a plug chop. I thought it was all based on just throttle input, not gearing also. Just wandering and trying to learn. Went back and watched my video and I was able to hold 3rd gear wide open for about 7 - 8 seconds before the shut down procedure. I was hoping that would have been long enough.
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

I'm just guessing since I have never done plug chops. I'd agree with Scheckaet that the "run" is not long enough. 20 -30 seconds for a plug to be in a motor just isn't long enough. I'd say a couple minute run to make sure the plug isn't Grey, White, or greasy Black and your there. Plug chops are going to be the furthest thing from your mind when your Pee-Wee is out there tearing it up.
Last edited by CoronasAndChips on 02:26 pm Aug 24 2012, edited 1 time in total.
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

CoronasAndChips wrote:I'm just guessing since I have never done plug chops. I'd agree with Scheckaet that the "run" is not long enough. 20 -30 seconds for a plug to be in a motor just isn't long enough. I'd say a couple minute run to make sure the plug isn't Grey, White, or greasy Black and your there. Plug chops are going to be the furthest thing from your mine when your Pee-Wee is out there tearing it up.

I just don't have anywhere to run for that long. You'd be talking in miles instead of feet or yards for that long a time frame. How does everyone do plug chops? A lot more open land?

His race is at 0800 and then mine at 1200. That is why I'm trying to get this worked out before my bike gets pushed hard.
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

You don't need to run it for miles and miles or 5 minutes WOT to get a good test.
Can you reduce your gearing for the test?
get as small of a front sprocket you can get and as big of a rear one, that should get you to 4th maybe even 5th, especially if you drag the rear brake.
That's what I'd do.
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

I should have been clearer when I wrote " couple minute run" I didn't mean at WOT I mean ride it as you would on the trail by starting and stopping running through the lower gears a few times. Sorry..
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

I have a question about these chop pics. Take a look at the below 155 MJ plug chop.

Why is that every plug chop pic I see on the net has a colored band around the base of the plug (which is what you are "reading") while mine have all the coloration from the mid point extending to the electrode end of the plug?

What about the coloration itself? I know if you don't have any coloration , ie just white, you are running lean. I think all of mine look the same, but they all do have coloration. Does this mean that they are not too lean or are they just completely invalid?
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

"I have not fine tuned the PJ yet and that may change a little once I do so."

I would start that 1st then do the needle and finally the main and sort it out like the tutorial tells you, might be why your plugs are not readable...
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

I have settled on the following for now:

40 PJ
152 MJ
Stock needle #3 clip position
AS CCW 1.5
40:1 ratio Motul 800 with 90 non-ethanol
BR8ES plug

It seems to run the best with this combination as far as I can tell. It will loft the front tire but if I went to 2.75 turns out I had a bad bog and 0.5 turns out would not easily loft the tire. Last night I made a real quick plug chop with the 152 MJ by making it to 4th gear wide open for about 5 or 6 seconds. I used the right of way on a uphill road right near the house so I could jump out, chop and then get home quick. I'm LE and it would not be good for me to get busted running on the right of way in my own county. What do you'll think of this plug chop pic? Think I'm ok with the 152?

'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

I would run it but that's me.
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

How did the races go?
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Boys race went great, mine on the other hand, not so well.

He did 3 laps in the PeeWee class and actually had a pretty good "get-off" when the rear end swapped with the front on him in a chopped, rutted, high speed section. It was in a portion of the track that is dug out by a dozer to create some elevation change and I didn't even know about it till I was watching his helmet cam. He got right back up, picked his bike up and got it started all by himself. I was more proud of that than the finish itself.

My race was completely different. I blew my knee out a couple years ago and the wife made me wear some new Asterisk braces I haven't used yet. Needless to say, they were apparently way to tight because I could barely lift my leg/boot to start the bike. Just a few miles into the tight technical stuff I was spent with cramps already appearing in my hamstrings and shins. Needless to say, rear brake use at that point was non-existant and I kept missing shifts, hitting neutral and stalling the bike. I have not ridden like that since I don't know when. Half the course was in a river bottom area with nothing but wet South Carolina clay to slip and slide on. Without the rear brake, every time I tried to slow by using the front brake the front end tried to wash out and I was using upper body strength to keep from going down. I was exhausted about 45 minutes into the 2 hour race and knew if I kept going I would either hurt myself or someone else by being to slow or what not somewhere in the middle of the tight, blind corner course so I gracefully called it quits and watched the rest of the race from the tailgate drinking water. Maybe I'll try again after I get use to these braces.

Anyone with recommendations on how tight these things should be? I'm assuming if they are too loose you are losing the benefits. It seems as though the knee/leg would just move inside the brace.
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Call Asterisk and ask them. Those things are giga bucks and I have heard thier customer service is outstanding. I'd really like to get a set of those. After 24 years of Cable TV and Low Voltage wiring my knees hurt when I get done riding all the time. I know I'm just a couple more misplaces dabs and or low speed get offs from ripping a knee out of it's socket.