help please what jets

A reference for the PWK carbs...
kriss

help please what jets

Post by kriss »

just got my 1992 kdx sr 250 back after complete engine rebuild so decided to strip and clean carb. on stripping jet sizes were pilot 42, main 165. im running a full fmf system and boyson reeds so and advice on jetsize id be greatfull full for. i live in the uk so not hot here all the time. :grin:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

help please what jets

Post by Julien D »

It is very difficult to recommend jets, as every bike, rider, and climate has different requirements. I would suggest running through the jetting sticky at the top of this forum. It will take you a couple hours, but it's well worth the effort.
kriss

help please what jets

Post by kriss »

Julien D wrote:It is very difficult to recommend jets, as every bike, rider, and climate has different requirements. I would suggest running through the jetting sticky at the top of this forum. It will take you a couple hours, but it's well worth the effort.
many thanks for your help and advice :wink:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

help please what jets

Post by Julien D »

Absolutely. Of course, you'll need some actual jets to get started. I would get a couple sizes smaller on the pilot and main. I use jets r us over here, not sure if they ship to the UK.
kriss

help please what jets

Post by kriss »

Julien D wrote:Absolutely. Of course, you'll need some actual jets to get started. I would get a couple sizes smaller on the pilot and main. I use jets r us over here, not sure if they ship to the UK.
hi julien, so waht size shal i go for if i oeder a couple of each? i have found a place the uk which sells them and needles and would i need to change needle aswell? sorry for so many questions but its been many years since i dabbled with 2 strokes and my first was an old villiers, amny thanks again for you help and advice :wink:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

help please what jets

Post by Julien D »

Your pilot is probably pretty close. If you check out that jetting sticky, there is a pretty simple procedure to determine if your pilot is too large or too small. If it seems to be too large, get a couple sizes down. If it seems to be too small, get a couple sizes larger. On the main, I would probably pick up a couple sizes down from what you have. The stock needle should be fine for now.

I'm not sure what the 250 guys are running for jets, so perhaps someone will chime in with what they are using and what there elevation is and that will help get you an idea.
kriss

help please what jets

Post by kriss »

Julien D wrote:Your pilot is probably pretty close. If you check out that jetting sticky, there is a pretty simple procedure to determine if your pilot is too large or too small. If it seems to be too large, get a couple sizes down. If it seems to be too small, get a couple sizes larger. On the main, I would probably pick up a couple sizes down from what you have. The stock needle should be fine for now.

I'm not sure what the 250 guys are running for jets, so perhaps someone will chime in with what they are using and what there elevation is and that will help get you an idea.
many thanks julien you have been more than helpfull and very much apreciated :wink:
kriss

help please what jets

Post by kriss »

kriss wrote:
Julien D wrote:Your pilot is probably pretty close. If you check out that jetting sticky, there is a pretty simple procedure to determine if your pilot is too large or too small. If it seems to be too large, get a couple sizes down. If it seems to be too small, get a couple sizes larger. On the main, I would probably pick up a couple sizes down from what you have. The stock needle should be fine for now.

many thanks julien you have been more than helpfull and very much apreciated :wink:
mnay thanks for your reply, as its got a 165 mian would you recomend 155 then ? thanks again, chris.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

help please what jets

Post by Julien D »

Nah, that's an awfully big jump. I'd suggest going down one size at a time. Pick up a 162/160/158. Dropping all the way to a 155 without doing plug chops to verify the main is not to lean could be dangerous.
kriss

help please what jets

Post by kriss »

Julien D wrote:Nah, that's an awfully big jump. I'd suggest going down one size at a time. Pick up a 162/160/158. Dropping all the way to a 155 without doing plug chops to verify the main is not to lean could be dangerous.
many thanks julian you,ve been more than helpfull :bravo: