surging idle

A reference for the PWK carbs...
turner

surging idle

Post by turner »

hey guys sometimes when i pull over at the side of a trail and pull the clutch in, my 2003 kdx 200 sounds funny. my friend says it is a lean surge cause it goes wah wah wah wah. i have a 48 pilot, 2nd clip needle and 160 main jet. also when i rev it in neutral the engine still spins pretty high for a second or two. the bike has an fmf gnarly pipe and sielencer and removed airbox. does anyone know any solutions to this or is this a normal thing to happen?
factoryX

surging idle

Post by factoryX »

Whats the plug look like?
Fletch

surging idle

Post by Fletch »

factoryX wrote:Whats the plug look like?
I'll second that and also add to check you're float height and needle and seat condition. That's pretty fat stock jetting. With a new top end I'm running a 48 like you and a 158. I'm still rich but don't foul plugs. My bike did the exact same thing but my needle seat combo was letting in too much fuel and screwing the float height up.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
turner

surging idle

Post by turner »

i measured the float hight when th ecar was of and it was at 17mm, so its in tolerance. i havent fould a plug yet but ill try and check my inlet needle tomorrow.
Fletch

surging idle

Post by Fletch »

turner wrote:i measured the float hight when th ecar was of and it was at 17mm, so its in tolerance. i havent fould a plug yet but ill try and check my inlet needle tomorrow.
your friend could be right, you should do a plug chop or two and see what's going on in there...
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

surging idle

Post by Julien D »

Lean condition doesn't quite fit in with the jet sizes you've listed. I would suspect an air leak.
turner

surging idle

Post by turner »

yeah i repacked my sielencer and after riding saturday, sploog has dripped down again. i am going to order some 155 and 45 jets tonight. I ride at 1700' so hopefully theyll be better.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

surging idle

Post by fuzzy »

Ditto what juliend said. You can check with spray of water, WD, etc spray all around intake/exh etc and see if idle changes(stabilizes).
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project