KX 250 triple clamps and steering stem

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
hoodoo

KX 250 triple clamps and steering stem

Post by hoodoo »

I want to move up to KX forks, kind of flying blind about what parts are needed to fit. Do I need the both KX 250 triple clamps and steering stem to mount the new forks? Am I using some parts from the KDX?
I am thinking I do need the KX clamps but not certain about what parts I need to gather to get this project going.
Forks of course, Kx wheel & axle, do lose my odometer? Will my KDX brake mount to the KX fork?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You use the KDX's stem and KDX bearings... everything else is pure KX! :wink:

Your KDX caliper should work on your KX front end. Forget that odo...get a Trail Tech.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

A little advice. When you start acummulating parts, start with buying your forks first if you can't find a whole front end. This way you can base you search around one or two years of models. For instance, I started with a set of '97 KX 250 forks. Then I used the Buy Kawasaki.com site to see what wheel and clamps would work with those forks. I found that I could use a '96 thru '98 front wheel and other parts. With that knowledge, I combed E-bay knowing exactly what I needed and what would work. I also used that site to get my part numbers for Bike Bandit site to get my spacers and axle. Bike Bandit is useful because you can pick up original Kawasaki factory parts alot cheaper than at the dealer. They have a seach Wizard you can use if you have the parts numbers you can get from the Kawasaki site. But the buy Kawasaki site is very helpful on telling you exaclty what your going to need with a particular year of forks. As I found out, different years have small changes and won't interchange with other years sometimes. You will have to swap the steering stems along with the bearings. KDX stem and bearings will be what you need to swap over to the KX clamps. The old KX stem and bearings you will not need. For some reason, some years of KX parts that were used on other bikes needed knurling to make the KDX stem fit the KX lower clamp. On my lower clamp which is '97 KX clamps, I did'nt need to do this. The stem holes in the lower clamps were the same size, but the upper clamp stem hole was much larger. I bought an aftermarket upper clamp to remedy this. It cost me more but I was going to go after market on the clamps anyways. It would do you good to use this site to research this swap before buying anything realy. Different members used different years of KX front ends and parts and depending on that the modifications seemed to be alittle different depending on the year of KX parts used. So do alittle research first. I still use my KDx caliper and brake line. It seemed to fit to my satisfaction and have'nt incurred any troubles so far with it being snagged by trees or anything........ yet. If you can get the KX caliper and brake line that'd be great but I think it's a matter of just what you want.

One warning on this. I'm sure you probably already know, but from first hand experience try to buy your parts through Ebay auction if possible. I made the mistake of working outside E-bay and got burned for $300 for a whole front end I thought I was going to get. I got scammed. So beware! If you do use other sources other than E-bay, make sure to pay with a Postal Money order. That may give you some recoarse to bringing scammers to justice( mail fraud). Me, I failed to do this, so the only justice I guess I'll get is if this guy peeves someone off and they beat the snot out of him.

Sorry the babble, I'll get off the soap box now. :rolleyes:

This conversion is worth every penny.

Jon.
hoodoo

Post by hoodoo »

Thanks Inda and Jafo.......do my research and buyer beware.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Did i mention i asked alot of questions on this site too??????????? This site was very helpful if I got stuck or unsure of what I was doing. So if you get stuck or something does'nt look right, just ask.

Jon.