Mostly all done

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Mostly all done

Post by rbates9 »

So, I have pretty much got my KX fork swap done. If any one cares, this is what took place on my swap. 2000 KDX 200 with 2000 KX 250 forks. I had bought a complete KX for cheap.
First was to rip it all down as normal. I pressed the stem out my self and reinstalled it in the KX clamp. On the first "test" fit the steering stops on the frame were just touching by a little bit. I completely reassembled the front of the bike. The headlight was something that I need to have on the bike so I spent a little extra time on that. The top KDX headlight brackets fit the KX clamps perfect. The lower was way off. I bought a set of UFO replacement rubber straps to get the bottom held in place. Once the OEM brackets on the top and the rubber straps on the bottom were installed I noticed that the right side rubber strap was hitting the mount for the radiator. After looking it over I decided to swap the top mounts from left to right so the offset would raise the light so the rubber strap would clear the radiator bracket. Now there is about two inches between the fender and the headlight.
Next step was to get the KDX brake line to fit the fork guards. I started by mounting the guards and lining up where the line clamp would go. I made a aluminum bracket to fit the line clamp and about 1/2" longer on both sides of the tab for a rivet on top and bottom. After that was in place I installed the new fork guard guids on the forks. The left side guide I cut the center section out of it to allow the line clamp to slide through. The right side guide went right on as normal.
The set up I am using is also going to incorporate the KDX front wheel. I also want to keep the odometer drive so I have to figure out how to run the cable guide for that. I decided to use the stock clutch cable guide that mounts to the upper triple clamp that I could not use due to the trip odo being in the way. I removed the clutch cable clamp and put it on the fork guard guide pinch bolt to help keep the cable out of harms way. Looks good so far.
The next step was to take every thing back apart and fix the steering stop issue. The KX lower triple clamp is thinner than the KDX so the lower bearing will not press down on to the stem all the way. I pressed the stem back out and turned the stem down a little bit to let the bearing seat on top of the lower clamp. Reassembled everything.
When mounting the brake line guides I noticed that the stock guides fit right on, BUT the lower guide will hit the fork guard during full compression of the forks. So I ended up using the KX brake line guide on the lower clamp.
Now the forks are on and so far every thing seems to be lining up. I still have to wait for my axle to get back from RBD so I can get it ready to ride but there is snow on the ground so I will need to get some screws before the test ride.

More to come.......
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I received the axle from RBD today. went out and put it all together. WOW perfect. The axle that RB moded for me fit like it was meant to be there. I also ordered one of his top clamp spacers to clean things up up top. That also fit so much better than the three layers of beer can that I was using along with the KX stem nut.

This fork swap can sound somewhat intimidating but if you have the time it is just a matter of reading and trial and error. Now I have to wait to get the tires screwed so I can take it out to try it. I will try to get some pics up of what I did to mabe help some others.
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

I didn't catch if you knurled the stem? I am using the same triple on my 2000 also, just trying to finish up my spacer on the lathe.
2000 KDX200(mine)
Polini X3(daughter)(FOR SALE)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
1969 M35a2 (Deuce and a 1/2)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

No, I did not need to knurl the stem. Don't forget to turn down the lower portion of the bearing seat area. If you don't the steering stops will not hit by much.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

RB also makes a nice KDX axle mod to use the KDX wheel with the KX forks.
ditton

Post by ditton »

This axle news is great news.
Planning on doing the kx fork swap in the new year and if I can avoid purchasing the KX wheel/axle, it means more money to spend elsewhere on the bike.
Mind if I ask how much RB charged for the KDX axle mod and did he just mod your original KDX axle?
I am already planning on sending him the clamps/stem to do the mod plus the bushing.
Thanks in advance

Ditton
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

did you just turn down the stem so the bearing would press all the way down? Did you take the bearing flush with the bottom clamp?
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
ditton wrote:This axle news is great news.
Planning on doing the kx fork swap in the new year and if I can avoid purchasing the KX wheel/axle, it means more money to spend elsewhere on the bike.
Mind if I ask how much RB charged for the KDX axle mod and did he just mod your original KDX axle?
I am already planning on sending him the clamps/stem to do the mod plus the bushing.
Thanks in advance

Ditton
He has it listed on his site for $65 and yes he will modify your original axle. The axle is not permanently altered, down the road if you ever wanted to go back to the KDX forks you could press or cut the sleeve back off the axle. I'm not sure why you would want to but you could.
Also if you ended up with a KX wheel the set up that RB has is a simple slip fit on the left side that is held in place by the axle and the pinch bolts on the fork leg so the KX axle could still be used at any time. It is a very nice set up.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
wbdisco wrote:did you just turn down the stem so the bearing would press all the way down? Did you take the bearing flush with the bottom clamp?
Yes, I just nocked down the upper edge of the stem that is pressed thru the lower clamp, mabe 1/8" down the raised portion. The bearing will then sit flush on the lower triple. On my set up if it did not go all the way down the steering stops would not hit buy 1/3 of the top of the stop. Once down the stops hit good.
I belive that RBD had posted that when he does the stem swap that is included in the service, but you should verify that with him.
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

thanks, my dad has a couple of old lathes and milling machines, and he is making all this stuff for me. I just haven't been up the house in a while to check on his progress, maybe he will have a Christmas present for me when i head up there saturday.
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

Don't mean to hijack but I have to cut down the taper up under the top bearing on the stem ,since my lower bearing seated all the way down. 04 200 with 2001 rm125 front end
Did I say riding?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I don't have a clue what needs to take place to use a RM set up.
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

Just handing out the info for future swaps :supz:
Did I say riding?