Stems and collars

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Stems and collars

Post by kdxtreme »

So on these bike the steering stem has a preload collar under the top clamp. Could you run without it like a ktm using the top clamp for tension? The reason im asking is because the steering stem on the rm is long enough to clamp everything together but not long enough to use the threads for the preload collar. Just a thought.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Dose the stem fit the KDX bearings?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Unlikely. You'll probably need to install the KDX stem in the lower RM triple, just like every other swap out there. Excepting kx500 of course.....
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

Rm lower bearing and kdx bearings are the same inner dia outer dia and thickness its on the all balls site the rm upper bearing is the same outer dia but a different thickness and of course a different inner dia. But the question was could you run it like a KTM without that extra preload collar?
Did I say riding?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

But the question was could you run it like a KTM without that extra preload collar?
Why not? The KDX does not use a preload collar. As long as the RM upper triple bears on the inner race of the upper bearing it should be fine. Have you got the whole RM front end? If so, the thing to do would be to take your bike apart and fit it all up.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy