Swaping stems?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Swaping stems?

Post by rbates9 »

I swaped my stem the other day and the KDX bearing did not go all the way to the lower clamp. Is this normal? Will it go with extra force? The stem seemed to have a slightly raised section at the bottom after pressing it into the lower T clamp.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's normal... RB machines the stem so it sits flush.

Mine is like yours... no issues to date. Probabaly not the best for wet conditions.... but it is what it is at this point.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The stops on the stem and on the frame don't hit by much. I'm thinking I may take it back apart and get the bearing to go down flush just so the stops hit better.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If you force it... you are going to warp the cage and the bearing will be useless.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:If you force it... you are going to warp the cage and the bearing will be useless.
Thats what I was thinking...
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

No, I will press the stem back out and get rid of the offending material.
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

Yes guys, the stem needs to have about .006" machined off that diameter where it comes through the lower T-clamp. This is because the KDX lower T-clamp is not a thick where it presses through the T-clamp. I always machine this area on all the swaps I do like this :wink:

Ron
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
RBD wrote:Yes guys, the stem needs to have about .006" machined off that diameter where it comes through the lower T-clamp. This is because the KDX lower T-clamp is not a thick where it presses through the T-clamp. I always machine this area on all the swaps I do like this :wink:

Ron
Ya I should have sent it all and had it done and over with.