KX forks on a KDX. Oil weight?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KX forks on a KDX. Oil weight?

Post by rbates9 »

I am getting closer to having the parts to do the fork swap. I have a set of 2000 KX forks to go on my 2000 KDX 200. I can only assume that the fork springs are original. I have read about the kx forks being harsh and am wondering if a lighter fork oil will help soften them up any? And if so what weight would be a good start? I am slightly on the portly side at about 230Lbs in gear and 6'. Any suggestions? I have to replace the seals before I put them on so I have to get new oil any way before I try them.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

for me, would not waste any more time, effort and money to trial and error as there are so many of us who have tried it. just go striaght for 5wt oil weight. spring preload about 6mm not more than 10mm. get the right spring rate for your weight. go for the max adjustable oil height that your manual allows. good time also to mod the BV shim stack (taking out some of the 24mm shims)since you are changing the oil seal. go check up on that. and clean the whole fork's internal and check for wear on all the bushing. you can claen the parts with kerosene. after which you can fine tune the action with the com and rebound clicker. since you are going in the fork, try to add all the above, if not, more than likely you will end up wanting to go in there again and change something.

make other adjustments after, if not satify
A true KDX customizer!!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I would add disabling or removing the bladders to the list of things to do while the forks are apart.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Tedh98 wrote:I would add disabling or removing the bladders to the list of things to do while the forks are apart.
I have not yet been into a set of forks. I have looked at the parts break down and am not seeing any thing that looks like or is called a bladder. Is it in the 2000 KX forks?

Dose any one happen to know the oil height range on these forks?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Once you pull the forks apart, if you see a black rubber tube that covers part of the cartridge, that is the bladder.

There are a couple of posts on TT that have pictures showing how to disable the bladders. I think there is also one on how to remove the bladder. Once you take a look at it, it is pretty straightforward even without any pictures.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Thanks. I just haven't had time to take them apart yet. I should have new seals and oil tomorrow, so I should get to it over the weekend.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

oil height should adjustable from 90mm to 140mm for your fork.
A true KDX customizer!!