46mm vs 48mm

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
ditton

46mm vs 48mm

Post by ditton »

Hi all.
Still looking into the fork conversion and looking to proceed early next year due to an injury.....but it is giving me lots of time to read, etc.
Another question I have is 48mm shocks vs 46mm shocks. Anyone have any input as to what is best for the 220. I have seen a couple of 01 KX125 which use 46mm for a good price compared to a few set of 03's which have the 48mm. It looks as though the 48's no longer use the bladder (?) used in the 46's......is this a good thing as I would think the 46's might be a little softer suspension. I have read a few posts were people are noting their 48's are still a little stiff for tight/rocky/rough single track.
Any thoughts on the 46 vs 48

Thanks in advance
Dittton
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Some prefer the 46 over the 48 because they have a little more flex to them (nothing like the stock forks though)
As for the bladder, I believe my 01 and 02 had them (it was to reduce bottoming on big MX jumps I believe), I simply removed them for wood use, still a little harsh but it's still better than the spaghetti stock forks so I can live with it (I'm sure it's a valving / spring issue that could be solved if I had the time and money.)
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

i have the 05kx125 fork conversion. they are 48mm. i love how my kdx can corner now...and more aggresive riding. but seriously its two extreme end from the stock fork to kx USD forks. one being too soft and the other too hash. sigh...one still has to mod from either choice.

but i will go for the usd but choosing from 46 or 48, it didnt matters much to me cos i am not so pro to notice any real diff betwwen the two size. but rather how much are they selling? personally i will go with the 04 and 05 kx125 fork because of the bladder issue, looks and it goes really well with my stock brake set up. becos of the brake hose able to be clamp down at the fork guard just like the oem kdx style.
A true KDX customizer!!
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

Then go in between 47mm like I did 01rm 125. :lol:
Did I say riding?
ditton

Post by ditton »

kdxtreme- so you have 01 RM125 forks which are 47mm, I am assuming then you used the RM125 clamps/tree also? Did the KDX stem fit onto the RM tree with no problems or any mods (other than kx/kdx) needed? Brake/wheel issues
How do they feel.
Opens up a lot more more alternatives if it is just as simple as the kx/kdx swap out.
Thanks again

Ditton