Conversion has begun

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Conversion has begun

Post by G22inSC »

I finally bit the bullet and went on a shopping spree. I have gathered the following items for my 2005 KDX 200:

2000 KX125 fork and complete wheel
2001 KX125 axle
2000 KX250 triple tree

Quick, but dumb question. The KDX stem is pressed into the KX triple tree. You do use the KDX stem bearings on the KDX stem with the KX triple tree. Correct.

Is it possible to press the KDX stem into the KX triple tree and use the "old" KDX stem bearing or do you pretty much have to press a new bearing on? I can't wait to receive my parts and start the build. I've been thinking about this for a while and am anxious to complete it. Thanks for all the help.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... you use new KDX stem bearings as the old KDX stem bearing will have to be cut off the stem.

If you are thinking about having this done by someone else or yourself... the stem is pressed out through the bottom and pressed in through the bottom. Allot of triple trees have been ruined by people not knowing what they are doing.

Best bet is to have Ron Black do it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Ron Black was my plan. I was going to send both trees, have the stem swapped, suppose new bearing pressed on and spacer made. I don't have any problems with most maintenance; however, I've never been into the front end on a bike before and don't have access to hydraulic presses. I figured I would leave that to the pros.
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Yes... you use new KDX stem bearings as the old KDX stem bearing will have to be cut off the stem.

If you are thinking about having this done by someone else or yourself... the stem is pressed out through the bottom and pressed in through the bottom. Allot of triple trees have been ruined by people not knowing what they are doing.

Best bet is to have Ron Black do it.
So Inda, are you saying that when RB presses my KDX stem out of my KDX triples that the stem bearings will be destroyed? Meaning that I need to get some new stem bearings in advance? FOrgive us guys who have never done this before...
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The bottom stem bearing was never meant to be reused. It is a press fit.

Actually to do it right, you should replace the bearings and races when doing this conversion... or maybe you could send them to Nick and he could refurbish them for you. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Little spit shine and some chrome in a can :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Indawoods wrote:... or maybe you could send them to Nick and he could refurbish them for you. :wink:
ouch :mrgreen:
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

wow, this is new to me about buying new bearings. I was actually getting ready to do this also, as soon as my dad finished the stem spacer. Why do you have to cut the old bearings out? Can you not just use a bearing puller to take it off and just press it on the new stem?
2000 KDX200(mine)
Polini X3(daughter)(FOR SALE)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
1969 M35a2 (Deuce and a 1/2)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sure... go ahead.... tell me how you fair... And a year from now....

Why is everyone so reluctant to replace bearings? Any shop would do it and not think twice. Why you ask? Because it is the right way to do it.

I mean... what is the worse thing that could happen? They could fail and your steering locks up just as you are heading for a tree at 30mph... your head can take that right? :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

You do not need to cut bearing it will come off when you press the stem through the lower clamp. I re-used my bearing the fist time I did my conversion but they were near new. If you do not know the condition of your bearings expect them to need a replacement.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

I am not trying to be a smart a$$, but a properly greased bearing should last quite a while. The reason I asked the question to begin with is because with years of working on 4x4s, I never replaced wheel bearings or steering bearings unless they were completely dry of grease. I would always repack with grease. But I also see your point that spending the $20 on new bearings is cheap for piece of mind, especially since you have it apart anyway.
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

11 years long enough? :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

If it was me I would not worry about it

What could possibly go wrong?

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A little history of Kawasaki's factory greasing motto.... as little as possible.

So, unless you have been regularly tearing your frontend apart and greasing it, it was not greased properly from the factory. We always suggest that you grease the steering head as one of the first things you do when you get a new bike.

The same goes for the swingarm bearings and wheel bearings.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Amen! :prayer:
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

point taken
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

All parts are now in the garage and it's time for decisions. What does everyone think? Should I just clean and rebuild (seals) the forks for now and see how it goes or should I go ahead and send the forks out for a complete revalve? I ride about 98% woods and 2% tracks just playing around with friends. I am not sure if the forks will too stiff if left alone considering I spend most of my time in the woods.
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I can guarantee that they will be too stiff in the woods and beat you to death. Funerals are more expensive!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

toooooooooooo stiff.
If you can afford the revalve do it now, (wish I had), if not, you'll need to at least remove some of the biggest shims. (don't ask me which one, I'm trying to figure out that myself ) :wink:
ditton

Post by ditton »

Hi all.
Sorry If I seem like I'm hi-jacking but I find some comments interesting as I am preparing to do the fork conversion also. As noted by G22inSC, I too mostly ride trail/single and the odd harescramble but now I read a couple of comments above that the KX forks will be to stiff for trail riding. Surely they must be better than stock KDX forks? Will turning the clickers all the way down not help this. "Beat you to death"....wow! Got me wondering now if it is worth converting. I have read tons of posts praising the conversion but this statement seems very contradictory. I can't afford to have a revalve job done right away, wifey won't like the extra cost there as I planned a doing the top end, shock/swingarm service as well.
Just wondering if there is anything I should be looking/worrying about or just go ahead and do it.
My son is a lot more aggressive rider than I am and competes (successful) in harescrambles on his RM125 which uses USD forks, his bike is wwwaaayyy better handling in the woods than mine, this is the main reason I want to do the conversion.

Thanks
Ditton