Conversion has begun

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just be mindful of what you are buying.

46mm forks off a KX125 will probably be just fine. Keep in mind that MX forks are valved to take triples.... to do this they have to be valved stiff.

Also... don't be afraid of modifying the vlave stack yourself. Mine blow through too much right now and I need to add a shim or two back into the stack and I will be real close. I have 48mm forks and I think they are too stiff as in no flex. A little flex in the woods is good... this is why I say 46mm should be just about right.

All that said... I would still never go back to the stock spagetti forks..
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

The forks I purchased are 2000 KX125 46mm forks. Like I stated earlier, I mainly ride woods and will now be riding with our oldest boy (5 yoa) who is learning to ride. I know I will eventually want a revalve; however, I am just not sure I want to pay the extra $300.00 right now to have it done. I am just wandering how rough the ride will be in the woods right now with the stock valving. I know I can adjust the clickers, but did not know if that would really help or not. On the flip side, my 200lbs. is more than the 125 forks were setup for from the factory so maybe that would help in the woods. Any thoughts?
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
ditton

Post by ditton »

Thanks Inda.
That somewhat clears things up with regards to the flex. I had actually asked in another thread about the comparisons between the 46mm and 48mm (newer) forks. The thing I read and wasn't sure about was the bladder in the 46mm...is this a good or bad thing for woods riding. I looks now like I may lean toward the 46mm (also cheaper) and have them re-valved later if needed when the seals eventually go.
Somehow, forks seem a little intimidating to me to repair/fix having no experience doing so......may need someone to show me, I seem to learn better that way rather than reading/experiment...Don't like putting this old arse on the line
Again, sorry if it seems like I hi-jacked this thread G22inSC but it seems like we are both in the same frame of mind.......although, I'm just trying to keep up with my son without being thrown all over the place.
Thanks again

Ditton
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
G22inSC wrote:The forks I purchased are 2000 KX125 46mm forks. Like I stated earlier, I mainly ride woods and will now be riding with our oldest boy (5 yoa) who is learning to ride. I know I will eventually want a revalve; however, I am just not sure I want to pay the extra $300.00 right now to have it done. I am just wandering how rough the ride will be in the woods right now with the stock valving. I know I can adjust the clickers, but did not know if that would really help or not. On the flip side, my 200lbs. is more than the 125 forks were setup for from the factory so maybe that would help in the woods. Any thoughts?
I think you will be fine for now... it's not so extreme that it is not manageable. Will you think they are stiff? Probably.... but not unbearable...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

The fact that they are a bit "too" stiff, pushed me to ride harder, that's where I really saw the improvement over the stocker.