Fork COnversion Questions From The Uninformed :)

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Heck... Fredette has bought 2 sets of forks from me for $150 a set...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

You would need to get them re-sprung for your weight at the least. The valving might work great for you, maybe not.

Tight stuff? No problem! The only reason some say this is that some forks (I think this is a 48mm fork issue) you will need to add material to the steering stops to keep them from hitting the tank. Doing this increases your minimum turning radius which could be a problem in really tight ST. I run 46's and did not need to add to my steering stops and have no problem with super tight trails.

Sand riding. Stiffer the fork the more it is to "rudder" in the sand IMO/IME. You want to ride on top of the sand not rudder (down in it) through it. My stock KDX forks were way better in sand than my KX forks as they were super soft. However, the KX forks will work great if I would ever take them off long enough to have them re-valved! :lol:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Heck... Fredette has bought 2 sets of forks from me for $150 a set...
must have been awhile, I think he offered 75 for mine, still better than having them collecting dust on the shelf...
99sr220
Supporting Member

Post by 99sr220 »

Sand riding. Stiffer the fork the more it is to "rudder" in the sand IMO/IME. You want to ride on top of the sand not rudder (down in it) through it. My stock KDX forks were way better in sand than my KX forks as they were super soft. However, the KX forks will work great if I would ever take them off long enough to have them re-valved! :lol:
What you say about the sand sounds correct, I know less air in the front tire helps a lot. However, I felt that soft forks are more sensitive and likely to dive in the sand, throwing the weight to the front and making them dig in. Any thoughts?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Soft forks are more sensitive in that it is easier for them to glide along the top of the sand. They won't dive unless you get on the brakes and/or shift your weight forward. Always keep your weight back and steer with the throttle/rear tire and not the handlebars.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R