Forks: kx 125 vs 250 vs 500

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
maseh2os

Forks: kx 125 vs 250 vs 500

Post by maseh2os »

I've noticed people are mostly swapping for one of these particular forks, can anyone tell me what the major differences are going to be between them? Is one better than the others? If you could have any of them, in any year, what would it be?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It mainly depends on what you come across first and at what your budget is.

KX500 is the easiest by far. Nothing cutting edge here... just a good solid setup. Any year from 89 up I would say is fairly similar. I don't think much upgrading has gone on through the years.

96 and up on the KX125 and KX250 forks are the most desireable due to tube size. In 96 they went from 43mm to 46mm tubes. They flex less...

As far as 125 or 250... 125 fork springs are usually the lighter .42 spring rate that is better for woods riding... so they save you money in having to buy lighter springs if you happen to get 250 forks.

As years go up... so does the technology to a point... so... pick your poison!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
maseh2os

Post by maseh2os »

I see...so let me ask this then: Since I rarely see a whole kx500 front end for sale, if I were to purchase an older kx500 triple tree (which there seem to be a lot of on ebay), would I then be able to put the best/newest set of kx125, 250, or 500 forks I can find on? I see a lot of forks, especially kx125, being sold without any clamps. Wouldn't this give me the "bolt on" ease of the kx500 set up with the freedom to choose the best set of forks available? Does that make any sense?

Also, would the kx250 triples be similar to what I've seen people on here having to do to put on the kx125's?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I believe that would work. I don't know what size the KX500 forks are though... so a little research on your part would be required.

I also believe that the only differences between KX125 forks and KX250 forks is the spring rates. So the triples should be the same.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
maseh2os

Post by maseh2os »

Thanks for the info!