03 220 Conversion.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
ditton

03 220 Conversion.

Post by ditton »

Hello all.
Just wondering about some (final, hopefully) information on swopping out my 03 220 forks for some KX setup. Originally, I thought about just getting a RaceTech setup on my KDX forks but the price I have been quoted to have it done seems a bit much (dont want to do myself as it seems a little involved and time I have is at a premium due to kids, etc)
So, I have read a little bit on the swop but still a little unsure as to what some pieces I may or may not need. I have looked around and found sets of 03 KX125 shocks/tree for what seems to be a decent price.
My quesions are
1- can I use my 220 wheel/axle as a straight swop or do I need an 03 kx125 wheel/axle/spacers?
2- If I have to use kx125 wheel, can I use my 220 brake/caliper with just a re-route of brake cable or do I need KX125 brake/caliper
3- Spacer??? read about it but not sure if I need this (on stem). If yes, any info as to what to use and is it readily available?
4- Anything that I would need to have done with regards to stem/tree bearings? (don't have press, do they just pop out/in)

Sorry for the newbie questions, but the swop seems like I should be able to do with no problems......if I have all the right info, parts, etc.
Thanks for your input
Ditton
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

1. Yes you need the KX front wheel and axle
2.Yes, you can use your KDX caliper
3.If you get the entire frontend, the top stem nut can be used as the spacer
4. Have a machine shop swap the stems. Remember to tell them that the stem gets pressed out through the bottom and the KDX stem gets pressed in through the bottom.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ditton

Post by ditton »

Thanks INDA.
With respect to your comments 3 & 4
3- I would re-use the KDX stem, use the KX nut as the spacer with the KDX nut on top of that?
4- Need to remove the KX stem (through bottom) and install KDX stem (through bottom) onto the KX assembly (fork clamp section)

As for the bearings on the stem, use KDX bearings I assume? and do they just pop in by hand?
As for torque of bolts, and nuts I would use KX values? (even on stem?)

sorry if questions seem so basic, but just trying to cover all bases and not make costly/timely mistakes

Thanks again
Ditton
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

3. Yes.. reuse the KDX stem. My spacer is under the top tree so that could raise the forks in the trees further...

4. Yes

KDX lower bearings are pressed onto the stem.

Torque on the stem nut is not really a specific value. You torque it down then back it off and then snug up. The torque on the tree bolts are 10-12 ft lbs.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ditton

Post by ditton »

Thanks Indawoods.
Sounds like a nice winter project to undertake. Thanks for all your help, really appreciated.

Ditton
ditton

Post by ditton »

Sorry...
Couple of more things now that I have looked at the bike and manual.
With regards to #3 again- Did you put it above or below the adjusting nut that is there?

Also, did anyone actually use the proper wrench to remove/install/adjust the adjustment nut (nut with notch) or did most people just use a screwdriver/hammer?
If using screwdriver, how hard was it to get the adjustment right.

Looking locally (southern Ontario) for forks, etc at salvage yards but no one seems to have any. Guess e-bay is the only way....flammin shipping certainly adds to the cost. Does anyone know any salvage yards in upstate NY that has dirtbikes? May have to do a border crossing...

Thanks again
Ditton
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Have Ron Black make you the spacer... it is much better than anything you can rig yourself. He has the dimensions. He builds in the shim to go between the stem and tree too....

The spacer goes below the top tree.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

ditton

Post by ditton »

OK, sorry for more.......
But a salvage yard just got back to me noting they have a 2000 KX500 tree/forks/wheel for sale. E-mailed them back for pics and just awaiting his price.

From what I can find it seems the KX500 tree should just bolt on to the KDX.
My questions for the KX500 fit would be
1-Can I use my KDX wheel?
2-Can I use my KDX brake caliper?
3-Is there any advantage/disadvantage to the 46mm forks compared to the 48mm 03 KX125 forks.

Again thanks for any info
Ditton

BTW, I have sent RB an e-mail asking about the spacer and also about doing the stem swap costs etc. Just trying to cover all angles as money is somewhat an issue.....so the wifey tells me. Trying to get it as my Chrimy present to myself. :rolleyes:
ditton

Post by ditton »

OK, little update.
The KX500 didn't pan out so that is now out the window. (he noted 2000 but they are blue and from what I can find, they seem to be older than that)
In looking I have noticed lots of KXF (250) front ends for sale and mostly cheaper than the KX assemblies.
Doing a search I have seen a couple of people use the KXF but there is not much description from what I can see.
It seems the KXF can have the KDX stem pressed into it, so I assume there is no problem with the top tree other than having the spacers etc.
Does the brake caliper fit right onto the KXF forks?
Then all I would need extra is the KXF wheel/axle?
Any other things different than using the KX assembley?

BTW RB got back to me and noted that he can do the stem swap, spacer etc......wow, couldn't believe the price....Waaayyy cheaper than what I thought. When I do this, I will be sending him my units (whatever they may be at the moment)

Thanks and really appreciated
Ditton