Can KX125 fork preload be adjusted?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXsg

Can KX125 fork preload be adjusted?

Post by KDXsg »

Hi to all, just swap the 2005 KX125 fork on my kdx200. been playing around to soften it up but to little improvement. oil height, oil wt, 0.38 spring except the shim stack. how can i soften it up some more? the spring that i have installed comes with a aluminium spacer about 10mm thick. OEM spring is 460mm. the new spring is 450mm + the 10mm spacer.

can i skip the spacer so that the spring can compress more?
A true KDX customizer!!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Did you go with the .38 spring because that was recommened for your weight or did you go with a lighter spring in an attempt to soften the suspension?

I've been modifying the shim stack and am close to having the front end plush on the smaller stuff, yet firm enough to not bottom out on the big stuff.

IMHO, I think you can get some improvements with modifying everything else, but to get a really good woods suspsension out of the KX forks, you need to change the valving. They are MX forks and were designed for a different purpose.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

Both actually....i have read that .38 spring is suited for a 150lbs. and the OEM spring rate is too stiff for wood riding.

any infor on how to mob the shim stack? what to look out for? number of washers to take out? what do you mean by changing the valving? is that the shim stack mob we are talking about? thanks for any input.
A true KDX customizer!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's all about preload for the spacer. You want 5-8mm of preload. As far as the shim stack goes... try removing 2-4 of the largest shims on each valve.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

Hi inda, consider that the stock spring is 460mm and service limit is 450mm.
The .38 spring that i bought is already 450mm with a 10mm spacer with it.
do you think that i can remove the 10mm spacer and make do with the 450mm length cos with that, it already got a preload of 5mm. thanks
A true KDX customizer!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If it has 5mm of preload already... then yes...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

Thanks for the infor. will try it out to see if removing the spacer helps.
A true KDX customizer!!