So I've avoided all this nonsense all these years...

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

whats wrong with my tyres?

I gotta pile of used tires to put on it

Seen here

BTW she's totally done now. Got all the bolts torqued.

Finished making my inner spacer today and had to cut my caliper bolts down about a 1/8". Got my pad spring installed correctly

Since Kawi no longer handles the seal for the odometer drive I had to go get one at the bearing shop

Sure nice having normal bar mounts now. My risers make it easy to stand up now without being hunched over
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Used it yet?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Up and down the alley
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Rode up in the snow today

I'm still having a little stiction issue but WOW the forks feel soo NICE

I purposely hit every rock and every puddle as hard and fast as I could and they just soaked it up
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

FWIW the front wheel bearing set I bought last fall came with the odo seal and the seal for the other side.

I seem to think I might have the stiction issue to deal with but it's kinda hard to tell riding in snow and ice with screws in the tires so I'll have to wait a little longer to know for sure.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I know I have stiction. Push down on the front end 3 inches and they stay there...

But man, sure cannot tell when riding ??

Might still not have my spacer correct or ?? dunno?

All I know is I like em! :partyman:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

yeah, if you have too much spacer or not enough it could cause that. Lower pinch bolts too tight? Doubtful, I know...

Mine did that on first assembly. Something was just out of whack. I loosened axle and pinch bolts, worked the front end up and down, then tightened back up. No more sticky sticky. I'm not sure what the cause was though. Something twisted or crossed up.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Wib, here's what I did to get rid of my stiction;

Loosen the lower pinch bolts on the t-clamp to the forks.
Loosen the axle nut
Loosen the axle pinch bolts
Loosen, then tighten to 10 foot pounds the upper pinch bolts on the t-clamp to the forks.
Bleed the air from the forks

Now,
Stand on the left side of the bike, holding the bars and put your right foot on the left peg.
Bounce your left foot on that peg. The forks AND rear shock should go up and down at about the same time. If you have to use the front brake to get the forks to move, you are doing it wrong.

The bouncing is so the forks can move on the front wheel axle and get straight. Many people crank down on the axle nut and it tweaks in the lower part of the forks, putting a bend in them so the lower part of the forks are closer together than the point where they enter the lower T-clamp.
By bouncing, the forks will seek their natural point along the front wheel axle so there is no bind or bend to them.

Now, while bouncing, hit the front brake. Do this several times. The purpose is to get the wheel to move along the axle so the rotor lines up with the caliper and the pads in the caliper.
Your forks should now be in their natural straight position without any stress trying to force them in any direction and your wheel should now be floating exactly aligned with the caliper and the rotor not dragging.
Tighten the pinch bolts on the front axle. Then try your bounce again. The forks should continue to move freely with the weight without using the front brake.
Next, tighten the front axle nut. Then go and do the bounce again. If it starts sticking, you've over tightened the axle and it's bowing in the lower fork legs.
Next tighten the upper T-clamp to torque spec. Bounce and make sure every thing is still good and nothing sticking.
Finally tighten the lower pinch bolts to 10 foot pounds. Bounce. there should be no or very little stiction. Increase the lower pinch bolt torque to 15 foot pounds and bounce. You should see a lot of stiction. Back off the torque on the lower T-clamp pinch bolts until the stiction goes away again and record the reading.

If you have stiction after this, the problem is something unusual like maybe bent axle or your upper/lower T-Clamps are not aligned right.
If it's the upper T-Clamp not lined up with the lower clamp, you'll have to start all over but this time lossen the stem nut at the start and get them in line.

Hope to see you soon. I need to get up there and ride with you guys. I'm actually more anxious to ride the Dakar up there on your twisties than your woods this time!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Sounds about right Ski!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Thanks Jerr, I knew you had a good technique I just could not remember where it was

I'll go try it as soon as the effects of lasts night's beer settles down :rolleyes:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Liked the snow shots. We been getting hammered here too. So far over 5 feet in 24 hours. I stayed home today; too many idiots heading to the ski slopes on MY highway. the nerve!!!

I went back and read your whole thread. I didn't realize you were custom making so much of the wheel assembly. This process should be able to identify if any of your shims/washers/spacers are off a little.
It doesn't take much I've found to get the forks just a little tweaked and have them bind a bit.
When working right, you'll stand next the the bike and be able to compress the forks without using the front brake to steady or hold the bike. Just push down and let up, the forks should move accordingly.
:supz:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I had a few beers with carvr last night at the local irish pub

Sure feeling it today :wink:

Beer I was sampling was Hair of The Dog Brewery's Blue Dot Double IPA

I gotta taster of it and gave it to Brad and he just sat there and smelled the hops for an hour :lol:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Some of them IPA's will give you a wicked hangover.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

well then I drank a few PBR's after I got home
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Sounds like you guys had a good time then if you are paying for it today! Ha!

This site should give you an idea what we are having for snow;
http://www.sierraattahoe.com/webcams

This is about an hour from my house. 80" of snow so far this storm....

This photo is snow since 9pm last night...
Jerry

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Hey they spring back now

I must have the compression too loose on my shock though, forks don't even move when I pump the bike up and down with my foot on the footpeg

Static sag is anywhere between 25 - 45mm

***edit***

sprayed a little silicone on the fork tubes and they move just a hair now
Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 10:05 pm Feb 18 2011, edited 1 time in total.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Now all I gotta do is lose 30lbs :prayer:

Haven't checked my shock sag in a few years, race sag was 150mm, static 35mm

Now I have it at 115 r/s and 15 s/s

Forks are 70 r/s 25 s/s
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Glad I won't have to buy new fork springs
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

OH MAN THESE FORKS ARE SWEET! :supz:

The harder and faster you push them the smoother they feel

Too bad the shock can't keep up with them
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Nice job!