So I've avoided all this nonsense all these years...

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Hows the progress?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: So I've avoided all this nonsense all these years...

Post by rbates9 »

>|QBB<[/url]
Mr. Wibbens wrote:... and somehow a set of forks wound up in my garage for cheap

Just noticed that the bar clamps are missing in your pic. I found out the other night that although the (in my case) KX and KDX bar clamps are the same idea, the KX top clamp is thinner than the KDX so the KDX mounts have to long of a stud and will not tighten up in the clamp.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I think my parts guy botched my order

Other than that just trying to get the brake side spacer figured out

I've learned the hard way that the only thing on this drawing that was correct for my swap was the steering head sleeve

The axle needs to be under 15mm, the odo side needs to be under 25mm, and so on.... :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I also found out that just about ALL of the measurements are off on that pic.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: So I've avoided all this nonsense all these years...

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB|QBB<[/url]
Mr. Wibbens wrote:... and somehow a set of forks wound up in my garage for cheap

Just noticed that the bar clamps are missing in your pic. I found out the other night that although the (in my case) KX and KDX bar clamps are the same idea, the KX top clamp is thinner than the KDX so the KDX mounts have to long of a stud and will not tighten up in the clamp.[/quote]

Not sure what my clamps came off of. Friend of mine gave them to me, could be ktm, suzi or yami? since he has all 3

They did not come with cones, so I had to make some out of uhmw

No idea if they'll work
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Rb is working on the spacer set up for using a KDX wheel on KX forks for me right now. Still in the design and testing stage at this point. Do you know if the axle, wheel, spacers and what not are the same for your forks as a 2000 kx 250? If so RB will have the set up if everything lines up for me.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:I also found out that just about ALL of the measurements are off on that pic.
Fugg! I figured between his and that other guy that had a drawing they'd be good to go

That's what you get for trusting other peoples work LOL

What was funny, The axle actually fit though one bearing, but when I tapped on it with a hammer it popped the other bearing completely out
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:I also found out that just about ALL of the measurements are off on that pic.
Fugg! I figured between his and that other guy that had a drawing they'd be good to go

That's what you get for trusting other peoples work LOL

What was funny, The axle actually fit though one bearing, but when I tapped on it with a hammer it popped the other bearing completely out
I took about 100000000 measurements to try to get it right the first time, glad I did.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Rb is working on the spacer set up for using a KDX wheel on KX forks for me right now. Still in the design and testing stage at this point. Do you know if the axle, wheel, spacers and what not are the same for your forks as a 2000 kx 250? If so RB will have the set up if everything lines up for me.
Nope no idea

I just need to get some thin washers so I can mock mine up and figure out the spacing

also I'm going to try an H wheel to see if it is a better fit at the caliper or not

Well tried it but my axle was too f'n big to fit through the H odo drive and it seized and was a f'ing PITA to get back off
Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 08:42 pm Dec 16 2010, edited 1 time in total.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I forgot you have an E. I did all the measuring for an H.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Well through lots of swearing and almost tearing my thumbnail off, it finally donned on me that I needed a washer between the right fork leg and the odo drive, to get my disc lined up properly in the caliper :supz:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Is the wheel centered?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Is the wheel centered?
dunno

All I'm worried about is getting the disc centered in the caliper
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Just mocking it all up

Had to put a washer under the castle nut

Needed a washer here to get the disc lined up to the caliper

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Lookin' good Wibby! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Kawi shop screwed up my order so my parts guy is gonna give it to me at his cost

Just need to wait another week
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

The measurements on my picture is meant for 2004 and 2005 kx125 fork to KDX wheel. if yours is other years and model of fork. you will than need to measure your fork's clamping diameter on both ends to match. the design is still the same though. My work is correct and trust worthy just that most of the people dont know the concept because maybe of the lack of some common sense and basic mechanical knowledge.

BTW mr wibben, very poor workmanship you have got there on the axle that i can see.
A true KDX customizer!!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
KDXsg wrote: BTW mr wibben, very poor workmanship you have got there on the axle that i can see.
And what can you see? :lol: What a dumass remark :butthead:

E and H KDX's use the same sized front wheel bearings thus have the same sized axles

You can't very easily fit a 15mm shaft through a 15mm hole :roll:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

why is it so that you cant? i dont understand. they have the same wheel bearing size and that axle diameter is the same. i did not machine another axle totally just use back the oem axle to add up another new diameter on both ends. Done. anyway i have been there, done it with the dimensions in the drawing with pictures of my work. maybe i should have add a statement at the bottom. Use it at your own risk... :rolleyes:
A true KDX customizer!!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Whatever dude

:roll:

Trying to decipher what it is you are trying to type is too much for my beer soaked brain cell :prayer:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))