KX fork conversion made easy.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXsg

KX fork conversion made easy.

Post by KDXsg »

if you want to save money, you can use the dimension above to fab your own axle using the stock kdx axle. it is applicable to E and H series kdx 200 or 220. You need to fab your own spacer on the brake side to 15mm(corrected from drawing 14mm) width. no spacer need on the right side. material used will be 4340 or 4130 steel.

this is my completed KX fork conversion using 2005 KX125 fork on my E series KDX200

Ron Black did my shim spacer for the triple tree. he done a great job for just $20. Shim spacer to fit under top triple clamp.

this is a way i found on this site for the steering head stopper mod to stop the kx fork from hitting the tank. nice job.

Summary :
1) E series steering head is the same as H series steering head. they share the same top and bottom bearing.

2) 2005 KX125 fork do not require knuarling for either H series KDX 200 or 220, prefect fit. just press out the stock KX stem out from the threaded side down, then press in the stock KDX stem from bottom into the KX triple using a press.

3) note that you cant have the bottom steering head bearing all the way seated after you have pressed the kdx stem onto the kx triple. it will have about 3mm of gap below. this is normal. no action needed.

4) using 2005 above KX125 fork will also solve the brake line routing issue. you can use the stock kdx line and caliper to the kx fork. perfect fit.

5) you can also use KX250F fork guard, they are compatible to 2005KX125 onwards.

6) kx125 top clamp torque is 19Nm
bottom clamp is 11Nm
steering head stem nut is 44Nm
axle pinch bolt is 20Nm
front axle is 78Nm

7) I am using kx250F front fender on my kx125 triple. perfect fit.
8) I am using UFO front headlight rubber straps top and bottom on my stock KDX headlight. perfect fit.

9) I weight 65kg with no load.
put in DSP 0.38kg/mm fork spring
fork oil 5wt
oil height 120mm (adustable range is 90mm to 140mm)
stock shim stack
A true KDX customizer!!
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Nice work. Mine was done the hard way, but others can behefit from this. Any machinist members wanna run a few?
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
heckler

Post by heckler »

Thanks for the drawings!

why did you have RB do the shim spacer?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Re; if you want to save money, you can use the dimension above to fab your own axle using the stock kdx axle. it is applicable to E and H series kdx 200 or 220. You need to fab your own spacer on the brake side to 15mm(corrected from drawing 14mm) width. no spacer need on the right side. material used will be 4340 or 4130 steel.

E series axle is totally different from an H series :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
heckler wrote:Thanks for the drawings!

why did you have RB do the shim spacer?
Why the fugg not?

Kills two birds with one stone :bravo:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
heckler

Post by heckler »

cuz he's got access to a machine shop... is the shim spacer not machinable by humans, or only the god RB???
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

E series and H series wheel is the same except the fork. so if you are able to use the stock axle, for me i am using the H series axle and just weld another bigger diameter to the right side of the axle and turn it down to 25mm and fab a bush on the left side to tighten the wheel togther.

RB done a great job on the shim spacer and good workmanship. he already have the measurement and my drawing is based on his measurement in case you want to fab it yourself. that saves me from measuring the diamension for machining.
A true KDX customizer!!
heckler

Post by heckler »

that explains what I was really after -

RB "shim spacer" = "steering stem sleeve" on your drawing
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

Yes, not wrong. haha..
A true KDX customizer!!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KX fork conversion made easy.

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB<[/url]
KDXsg wrote:Image

k
I pm'd this but thought I'd put it here to

Looking at your diagram. You don't list what the length of your axle is.

You dont by chance know what that would be?

I have an extra axle but not sure if it is a KDX or not

Mine is approximately 230 - 231 mm long

From the step to the end of the threads is roughly 185.7

Also from looking at your pic, it looks like the axle is about 3mm +/- shy from coming all the way to the end of the threads. Is this correct?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

yes, i am using the H series kdx 200 axle and just welded an extra diameter and machince to 25mm on the right side axle for the kx fork to be tighten. the axle has got about 3mm from coming all the way to the end. it is fine by far. no worries about that.
A true KDX customizer!!