KLX/KDX rear suspension swat

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
cerrico83

KLX/KDX rear suspension swat

Post by cerrico83 »

I have an 01 KLX 300 that has a cracked case and a kdx 200 with a verry strong motor and mushy suspension. I know the fork swap is easy but what about the rear suspension. Has anyone done that yet. If so does it take any fabrication. (making it not worth it). Im new to this web site and help would be great
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

There is nothing lacking on the KDX shock... an occasional rebuild is in order though....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Is your KDX shock setup right? I'm right at 200 and my race sag is just a bit over 100mm and my static sag just under 25mm. Unless I'm wrong - that tells me 200lb is just at or maybe a little over the adjustable range for the KDX stock spring. I could use the next heavier spring... but at $109 - not sure it's worth it.

Are you over 200?
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
cerrico83

Post by cerrico83 »

no im not 200 lbs but i already have a klx shock and it would be quicker and cheaper if they were cross compatable to just swap them out
cerrico83

Post by cerrico83 »

the one thats on there is really bad. Soft. I have tried adjusting it and ot doesnt ever help
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I don't know if the shocks are the same between a KLX and a KDX. They might be. You'll need to measure.
If the KLX has a cracked case and you don't want to fool with it, I guess the thing to do would be to get the shock off it and take a look.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

The KDX and KLX have completely different linkages, and geometry. Anything is "do-able" but I don't think you would gain any performance by such a swap. I would trust that each is engineered for the model it's on and changing it could really bugger things up.

You can tell if you need a spring change by properly setting the sag. Then try adjusting the shock to your liking. If that doesn't do it, having it custom valved is your best option and can really make a difference in performance.
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Out of curiosity I looked up the pn's on fiche - there is a difference in the modifier.

So I went to racetech.com and did a search for replacement springs. The KLX and KDX use the same spring series. BUT - that doesn't necessarily mean the shock bodies are the same, etc.

Hey, you've got them both - give it a try and see,

When you say the shock feels "mushy" - do you mean it sags way too much when you sit on it? Or does it flop all over the place when you roll over small bumps? Maybe we can figure this out with a few more details.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
cerrico83

Post by cerrico83 »

Hey guys thaks for all the help. I finished the conversion. The rear shock needs an internal rebuild which i can't afford right now but i did swap the springs (completely interchangable) The linkage is verry different between the two. But the difference is amazing! I know this is a kdx forum but my re-valved klx forks are way better then what i had. I would like to rebuild the rear shock its still not quite right but better with new spring. ( I think the old one was just worn out). But again thaks for all the help here are some pics. (its a link to my flickr account, there are a couple of pics of me on my yzf hitting a 65ft table top at me and my friends private track)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31838140@N07/
cerrico83

Post by cerrico83 »

Oh yeah! Johnnyblaze. Its fine when i sit on it and i tried agisting the sag and it still bottomed out even over the smallest jumps and bumps. And thats not even coming down from being airborne thats just pre-loading!
When you say the shock feels "mushy" - do you mean it sags way too much when you sit on it? Or does it flop all over the place when you roll over small bumps? Maybe we can figure this out with a few more details.
99sr220
Supporting Member

Post by 99sr220 »

>|<>QBB<The linkage is verry different between the two. But the difference is amazing! I know this is a kdx forum but my re-valved klx forks are way better than what i had.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31838140@N07/[/quote]

I've got a 2010 KLX rear shock, it measures up the same as the KDX and at a glance looks like it could be a straight swap. Although the shocks are in different places and both already fitted to bikes, so it's difficult to be sure.

Also, you mention the re-valved KLX forks. Did you also do a fork swap?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Did you re spring and revalve your fork swap? I'm doing the klx forks too, got a set for real cheap off eBay and I get to keep my tripmeter. I know my upgraded kdx springs will fit the klx forks, but will the kdx base valves fit too?
'00 KDX 220R
Lutz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: KLX/KDX rear suspension swat

Post by Lutz »

>|<>QBB<
cerrico83 wrote:I have an 01 KLX 300 that has a cracked case and a kdx 200 with a verry strong motor and mushy suspension. I know the fork swap is easy but what about the rear suspension. Has anyone done that yet. If so does it take any fabrication. (making it not worth it). Im new to this web site and help would be great
Not sure what you're doing with the KLX300 Motor, but check your PMs. I'm looking for a KLX300 cylinder.
Keep It Simple Stupid
cerrico83

Post by cerrico83 »

Sorry for being so late i stoped getting notification for a long time for some reason but the valves are different the (tube diameter is diffrent)
and i still have the motor but i have a couple of people looking to buy the whole thing. Im selling it for 300 and you pay for shiping It is in amazing shape the only thing that is wrong is the output shaft and idler gear is broken. Every thing else is perfect on it. my email is
cerrico83@yahoo.com.

Again sorry it took me so long they wont let me send PMs because of my nonsuporting staus