1990 KDX 200 - KX 125 fork conversion

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
cookycamy101

1990 KDX 200 - KX 125 fork conversion

Post by cookycamy101 »

What year kx front end will fit my 1990 kdx 200? whats a better fit; kx 250? kx 125? i hear there is a custom axle somewhere on the net that allows me to use my wheel odometer etc to lower the cost.. ebay links would be appreciated

Bouillion

Re: 1990 KDX 200 - KX 125 fork conversion

Post by Bouillion »

>|<>QBB<
cookycamy101 wrote:What year kx front end will fit my 1990 kdx 200? whats a better fit; kx 250? kx 125? i hear there is a custom axle somewhere on the net that allows me to use my wheel odometer etc to lower the cost.. ebay links would be appreciated

I'm not sure but I have a set of 1999 model KX-125 forks that I was planning to use for my hybrid build before I decided to sell my KLX300 and buy an 05 KX for the build. I did but new oil and dust seals before changing plans. If you decide to go with 99 model KX-125 forks let me know. I'm just looking to cover cost of seals and shipping.
cookycamy101

Post by cookycamy101 »

i just dont want to buy a front end and realize that i have to machine it to the rize size, shape, etc.. that'd just be a waste of time and money if there are already parts out there that fit.. im thinking about putting some xr 400 springs in because thats a lot cheeper but it doesnt really fix the flexing of the forks :mad:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A KX500 frontend is a direct bolt on.... Any year....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Are you just wanting to keep your stock odometer/wheel? I picked up a new front rim for $50 that was in excellent shape from Ebay. I bet that is very close to the price of buying the special axle setup and then sent here from England. BTW, he said he was looking into offering them and I don't know that he has. He also gave no indication on a possible price. He is a member here and his forum name is akracing. There is a thread a little further down started by him so it might be a place to start if you are going to pursue it.

Anyways, I used '96 KX forks on my '90. You will need to change the brake caliper to a '95 or newer KDX or KX version as the stock '90 will not work with the newer capliper bracket. The only machine work was having the stem pressed from the KDX triples into the KX triples and having the spanner nut machined. Both were taken care of by Ron Black. After that it was a straight bolt-on deal.

One thing I would suggest is to either have them revalved by a shop or to pull four of the washers from the shimstack yourself to help it be a little more plush over the the little stuff.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 1990 KDX 200 - KX 125 fork conversion

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
Bouillion wrote:>|<>QBB<
cookycamy101 wrote:What year kx front end will fit my 1990 kdx 200? whats a better fit; kx 250? kx 125? i hear there is a custom axle somewhere on the net that allows me to use my wheel odometer etc to lower the cost.. ebay links would be appreciated

I'm not sure but I have a set of 1999 model KX-125 forks that I was planning to use for my hybrid build before I decided to sell my KLX300 and buy an 05 KX for the build. I did but new oil and dust seals before changing plans. If you decide to go with 99 model KX-125 forks let me know. I'm just looking to cover cost of seals and shipping.
You should jump on this deal...
cookycamy101

Post by cookycamy101 »

so any year KX 500 triple tree will press right into the KDX stem.. or are the forks the right size to fit into the KDX triple clamps? :?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

With the KX500 front end you just bolt everything on. There is zero machine work to be done. Triples w/stem, forks wheel, caliper, hose, etc. just bolt on like they were meant to be there.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
cookycamy101

Post by cookycamy101 »

wow that sounds a lot easier to manage, thanks alot. there are a bunch of kx 500 parts on ebay right now

thanks for the input

is there anything else i can do to make my kdx a better ride?

i have read all the upgrade forums and what not but if there are any others.. :razz:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mine is becoming too much for the woods... I need to go back a mod or two... :lol:

It's not that forgiving bike it once was.... It has become more like a MX bike with incredible low end. Maybe that's what you want... if so.. all the mods are listed on the Best of the Best Mods sticky....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
cookycamy101

Post by cookycamy101 »

awesome, ill look more into the kx500 front end