kx conversation

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
89 kdx 200

kx conversation

Post by 89 kdx 200 »

I have a 89 kdx 200 and plan on putting 97 kx forks on it.I was wondering if anyone knows what the range of years for the wheel and triple trees and will the rotor off of my bike fit on the kx wheel
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

I have '97 forks (and love them cause they track so well) so I can help with some of this.

Triples from 96-98 will work. IIRC wheels from 94 - 98 will work.

Can't help with the rotor application.

Or, maybe you could be the first to buy a new axle/spacer setup from AKRacing - see a nearby post - and keep your own wheel, etc.

FYI - If I could do something over - I'd remove 4 of the largest shims from the KX base valve to make it more plush. I took 2 out and it's a bit stiffer than I'd like - even at the limit of clicker adjustment. I think 4 shims out would yield ultra plush AND adjustability.

'Course your riding may be totally different from mine. YMMV.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
kevfort19

Post by kevfort19 »

AKracing do somme axel and spacer to fit kdx wheel to KX fforks??
becaause i have a complete set of 2001 forks for about 175$
KDX 220 2001 =)

Don'T drink and drive...just give some gas and fly :D
89 kdx 200

Post by 89 kdx 200 »

Hey johny i know you said you would take four spacers out but i have one question for you how much do you weigh, i weigh 225 so i may not need to take as many out
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

I weigh 200 and have yet to bottom out the KX forks.

I'm not talking about spacers that change the spring preload and therefore compression damping. I'm talking about the shims in the base valve that affect rebound damping. That's what gives the plush or stiff feel when rolling over bumps. The compression will affect whether or not you bottom out on big hits.

Admittedly, I don't know a lot about forks and suspension in general - but it seems a good ride is a delicate balance of the 2 AND balancing the same issues from front to rear.

Having said that, it's clear that suspension feel is a very personal thing and should be dictated by each individual in relation to that specific bike. You'll have to play with it and find what works the best for you.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S