98 kdx 200 with kxf 05 fork conversion from the uk

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
akracing

98 kdx 200 with kxf 05 fork conversion from the uk

Post by akracing »

Hi there,thought you guys might be interested in my conversion inspired by reading peoples ideas on this site.

I have used 05 kxf 250 forks and triple clamps but kept the kdx front wheel complete with speedo drive.

The forks were stripped when purchased and new seals and 5 weight oil fitted the fork bushings and everything else was in very good condition.I have left everything standard at the moment until i get some miles on them offroad,i have an 120 mile trip planned this weekend so that should give me an idea if i need to change anything

The kdx stem pushed into the kxf lower clamp with no problems both lower clamps were the same size so no knurling required and i also noticed the bottom bearings were the same as well.Made the top hat spacer that has been described elsewhere on the site to go under the top clamp (8mm thick and turned to take up the difference between the kxf and kdx stem thread diameters which is much neater than using shim)

I run an engineering company so i had a new spindle made which used exactly the same dimensions as the kdx item but increasing the larger diameter to 25mm to suit the kxf fork (you could though weld on a sleeve to the original spindle and the get your local shop to turn it down to 25mm).on the other side i made a threaded top hat bush which fits in the brake side to replicate the kdx fork dimensions which is held in place by the kxf lower clamp bolts.

The width between the kxf forks is exactly the same as the kdx so no need for extra spacers and you can still use the kdx speedo drive when tightened up everything clamps up perfect.
The kdx brake caliper bolts straight on to the kxf forks with no modification and i ran the brake line up to the clamp on the kxf fork cover.
The speedo cable is routed the same as the original kdx but i made a plastic clamp to go round the fork leg to hold the kdx speed cable guide.

The bike has been finished of with renthal fat bar clamps with zeta rubber killers(gets rid of the rubber insert in the top clamps), gold pro taper bars,pro taper pillow top grips,polisport headlight and hand guards,kxf 450 010 front mudguard.

I also fitted a light switch off of a montessa trials bike to tidy up the electrics and now have all light switches and engine kill switch and horn in one place.

Next stage in process is to fit a more modern rear end possibly kx/kxf rear fender as i cannot find the maier rear end in the uk.i will let you know how i get on and post the pics when i have finished.

If any body is interested i can give them details of the parts i have made to help with their conversions.

Thanks from the uk Andy :grin: :grin:
Last edited by akracing on 04:19 pm Jul 01 2010, edited 3 times in total.
akracing

Post by akracing »

Hi sorry as i am new to the site i dont know how to post photos when i find out how to do it i will post lots of photos of the conversion
Thanks Andy :?
akracing

Post by akracing »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
hope these pics are ok :grin:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Awesome!
akracing

Post by akracing »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:Awesome!

Thanks

i am really pleased with it and it has made a massive difference to the handling and using the kdx wheel kept the costs down as i picked the forks and yokes up for the equivalent of about 130 dollars :grin:
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Wicked job on the axle!
'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Would you be willing to make another spindle, and top hats? I'd like to do the forks swap, but I want to keep my speedo drive, and you've made it possible.
'00 KDX 220R
akracing

Post by akracing »

Slick_Nick wrote:Would you be willing to make another spindle, and top hats? I'd like to do the forks swap, but I want to keep my speedo drive, and you've made it possible.
Could be possible where are you based and what forks are you planning to use?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I could use the same forks, I'm in Canada but would pay for shipping.
'00 KDX 220R
jlove1974
Supporting Member

Post by jlove1974 »

looks great. Where'd you get those graphics/seat cover? pretty nice setup :supz:
akracing

Post by akracing »

>|<>QBB<
jlove1974 wrote:looks great. Where'd you get those graphics/seat cover? pretty nice setup :supz:
Hi there,thanks for the comments i have now fitted a kxf 450 rear fender to the bike so it looks even better now i will get round to posting some pics later this week.
The graphics were on the bike when i purchased it but a mate of mine sells graphics his website is http://www.motoskinzfx.co.uk and i am sure he would be able to source some graphics he also gets custom made graphics made to your own design. :grin:
akracing

Post by akracing »

>|<>QBB<
Slick_Nick wrote:I could use the same forks, I'm in Canada but would pay for shipping.

I can get an axle made for you no problem if you want one it will be made from stainless steel so no need to worry about it rusting!
I decided to look at this as i when i read all the posts on doing the conversion everybody was buying kx wheels and digital speedos and i thought this was a waste of money as the kdx wheel is perfectly ok.

I will find out how much it would be to ship to canada for you and let you know tomorrow.

Thanks from the uk

Andy
jlove1974
Supporting Member

Post by jlove1974 »

I definitely would be interested if I could reuse my KDX wheel on my 97 KX forks. Does anybody know if they use the same axles as the KX-F?
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Pretty sure they don't
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

What an exemplary job! That's probably the nicest I've seen....
:partyman:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

If you made an axle with the threaded other end, and a "top hat" for the clamps, you could sell that as a "conversion kit" and I'm sure alot of people would buy them, as long as it was a good bit cheaper than trying to find a KX wheel. Anyway, let me know on a price and we can work something out!
'00 KDX 220R
akracing

Post by akracing »

>|<>QBB<
jlove1974 wrote:I definitely would be interested if I could reuse my KDX wheel on my 97 KX forks. Does anybody know if they use the same axles as the KX-F?
Hi there,you could still use the same method that i have done on your kx forks as you would just need to measure the diameters in the bottom of the kx forks and make the axle and threaded bush the same size to suit.

Hope this helps

Andy
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

My 220 is already setup with KX wheel, etc - but that looks like it would make the conversion process a lot easier for new owners coming along. It's hard to find the whole shebang at once, this would eliminate that issue altogether and leave the odo as well.

Well done. Great looking work. Market it!
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yep... if all you had to do is buy the forks and the axle .... What a no brainer conversion it would be! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
akracing

Post by akracing »

>|<>QBB<
johnyblaze wrote:My 220 is already setup with KX wheel, etc - but that looks like it would make the conversion process a lot easier for new owners coming along. It's hard to find the whole shebang at once, this would eliminate that issue altogether and leave the odo as well.

Well done. Great looking work. Market it!
Thanks for the comments guys,the fork conversion has certainly made a massive difference to the bike and it was you guys on this forum that inspired me to get it done.

As there seems to be interest in a kit of parts i am going to look at it whilst i am on vacation next week into how much it would cost to put together and ship to the states.

For my information i presume you would like the axel,threaded top hat spacer for the fork and the spacer to go under the top clamp as a kit?

On a different subject i now have a kxf 450 08 rear fender fitted to the bike i will post pictures over the weekend to let you see how it has come out.

Thanks again from the uk and safe riding

Andy