planning USD KX fork conversion

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
jlove1974
Supporting Member

planning USD KX fork conversion

Post by jlove1974 »

So I have officially started my conversion planning / purchasing phase.

I won a set of 97 KX125 forks together w/ triples from Fleabay. First Egay buy in a long time....but I basically stole these for less than $100 shipped.
Somebody tried to snipe me at the last minute but they must be a cheapskate (worse than me). I think the winning bid was like $66 lol....
I'm gonna send them straight to my suspension guy (Bruce's suspension in Salisbury NC) for rebuild and revalving. No reason to waste time on 14 year old seals and oil.

I also purchased some XR400 springs for the stock forks for my other bike.
I'll be able to do a direct comparision between a properly sprung KDX and a USD one. Got that one for $1 winning bid.

So now I need an axle, and wheel/rotor setup. Hopefully my ebay fortunes continue, but I am realistic. How much is a good price for a KX front wheel?

Do you guys who have shortened the fork tubes have any problem with the revalving?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Who has shortened them? :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jlove1974
Supporting Member

Post by jlove1974 »

I think I saw at least one person who had shortened their USD forks on here...
jlove1974
Supporting Member

Post by jlove1974 »

So I got my forks in (only took seller a week to ship inside the same state... :roll: ) and immediately tore open the box.

First impressions? Man these things are beefy. They are reasonably clean, with the exception of some scuffing around what looks to be where the number plate was. The fork seals are going bad.

There are 'race tech works fork' stickers on both sides, so we are gonna pop these things apart really quick to see whats inside. They have been opened before so maybe they have gold valves or whatever. Doesn't help me because I would need the RT chart and I can't find it anywhere online.

So I am gonna pull my triples off the parts bike and get the stem from it pressed into the lower on these forks. I wish someone would post a pic of exactly what spacer is needed, w/ the dimensions and all. Maybe I missed it.
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

The spacer is to fill the gap in the hole in the top tripple clamp where the stem comes through. The KDX stem is a smaller dia. than the KX. Most use shim stock. There is also a space that goes under the top triple clamp on top of the notched nut. I had a spaced from a bicycle 1" threadless headset that I used.
jlove1974
Supporting Member

Post by jlove1974 »

would copper or PVC pipe work as a spacer? I am going to use two notched nuts on top of the stem
jlove1974
Supporting Member

Post by jlove1974 »

it seems I would be better off using the lower triple from my 99 bike vs using the triple from the 95 parts bike due to the knurling issue.

So now what I am planning is to pull the forks from the 95, have them rebuilt and using the XR250 springs (if stiffer) and put it on my bike while I am getting the USD forks rebuilt.

Having the luxury of a parts bike is a clear advantage, if nothing but limited downtime. :supz: