96-98 KX axle setup

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

96-98 KX axle setup

Post by johnyblaze »

Now that my forks are fitting into some clamps...

Something looks fishy about my axle setup. Almost like I have an extra spacer or something. Here's my setup from right to left:

axle itself, 20mm spacer, right side bearing cap, wheel hub, left side bearing cap, another 20mm spacer and the axle nut at the far left. When I fit them all up with the wheel hub in place it seems like the axle nut doesn't grab enough of the threads.

Anything out of place? Seems like I should have something bigger than the largest diameter of the axle bolt itself (i.e spacers) to "locate" the wheel in the right place. My forks have the front plate that drops off on both sides to let you pull the axle and wheel as a unit.

Anyone else have the 96-98 setup? How long is your axle? Also, how wide is your hub? Just wondering which of my elements are right/wrong. Problem is they were all seperate buys on ebay and I think some of them may have been erroneously marked - like my 1st set of T-clamps.

Thanks in advance again
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Sounds just like my '96 setup. Well, except for the axle nut not grabbing enough threads. Do you have the nut installed properly? Here is a pic of how mine is setup...

The axle nut locates the wheel in the proper position. Whether it belongs in the right or left fork leg I don't know yet as I'm waiting on one more part before I can bolt everything up. Logic tells me it should be on the left leg so that is where I have it mocked up in the pic.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Thanks SS109. Looking at your setup I think the difference may be the bearing caps. On yours - the longer end of the metal bushing goes in toward the hub. On mine, the longer end of the metal bushing sticks out away from the hub.

Maybe the bushings slide in/out in the cap and I didn't notice it. That would explain why my axle seems too short - some of the bushing should go into the hub instead of away from it. Or maybe my axle came with the wrong bearing caps on it. I'll check it out in a bit.

Thanks for the pic. Is there any means of locating the right fork or is it all keyed off of the left?
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

OK - let me ask you this. Do your bearing caps have seperate bushings that go through the cap? Or, does the spacer fit right through the bearing cap?

My axle came with the axle nut, 2 spacers and bearing caps with bushings. I'm wondering now if I just got an extra set of spacers.

I took the extra set of spacers out and the caliper fit right up with perfect spacing on the rotor - as long as I left the extra spacers out.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Sounds like you just got some extra spacers. You can see from my pic that there is only the one spacer (same for the other side) with plastic bearing cup on it. Yes, my bearing caps are nothing more than thin plastic cups that fit over a metal bushing/spacer. Yes, they will move on that bushing/spacer if you press them with a little bit of force. Also, I do believe everything keys off of the left axle due to brake rotor alignment.

BTW, I purchased all my parts from one guy that was parting a '96. He said that was everything so, if he was right, all my parts should be correct. I'll post back when my spanner nut gets back from RB and I bolt it all up.
'11 GasGas EC250R
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Thanks SS109 - it was definitely the extra spacers that threw me off.

You were lucky to find them all together. I bought almost all of the bits seperately. It turned out the T-clamps were NOT from a 97 but rather a 94/95 so I had to buy a second set. They're heading to RB tomorrow.

Thanks again
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I just love it when people list things as the wrong year. :roll: Anyways, glad you got it sorted.

BTW, did you read my thread on my conversion? Reason I ask is because of the spanner nut that threads on the stem needed to be machined on mine. If yours is the same type, aluminum that is completely threaded like in my pics, you need to send it to him to be machined as well. That is the one part I'm waiting on before I can bolt mine all up.
'11 GasGas EC250R
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Yeah, I read your post. I looked at my spanner nut and it appears to be OK. The threads are inset at least 1/8". To be sure - I'm sending it along with my clamps and have RB take a look anyway.

Hey, anybody need the clamps from a 94/95 KX? The stem has already been pressed out.... Ebay, here they go! Not mismarked this time.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S