Howya spread those clamps?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Howya spread those clamps?

Post by johnyblaze »

I just got my new T-clamps and wanted to test for them to my KX forks before sending them off to RB for stem pressing.

The top clamp fits easily but I'm having trouble spreading the lower clamps enough to slip the forks all the way down. I'm using a large slotted crewdriver that I've used before but these are some pretty stiff clamps.

Can anyone tell me what you use to spread the lowers a bit? I'm wondering if an offset (L-shaped) screwdriver might give me a little more leverage?

Thanks in advance
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

What year forks and what year clamps you got? I bet you got 2002 or newer forks and 2001 and older clamps. There's a 2mm difference 46 vs 48mm. I learned the hard way first time around is why I ask...
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

I measured - 46mm at the lower tube. The diameter of the upper tube is 58.55mm (where the lower clamp needs to fit) and the lower clamp hole is 58mm on the button. I just need to open them by half a mm. Maybe my grip strength on the screwdriver handle isn't what it used to be...

Think I'll try the same screwdriver with a visegrip (gently) thrown in for good measure.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
twocycle

Post by twocycle »

Mine were the same way. I just inserted a large slotted screwdriver in the slot and levered gently.
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

i went home at lunch and gave it the old college try. The forks fit just fine with a little visegrip assist. Snug as a bug in a rug. They're now ready to ship out to RB for his stem pressing.

Next comes my issue with the axle.... in another thread.

Thanks for the help.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S