Best Choice for Conversion? (I have several to choose from.)

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Jim B

Best Choice for Conversion? (I have several to choose from.)

Post by Jim B »

So, I've collected quite a few parts bikes. I'm looking to install the front end off one of them on my '97 KDX220. I have:

'96 KX250
'97 KX250
'00 KX125
'02 KX125

Assuming they're all in similar condition, would one of these be better than the others for doing the conversion? The two most obvious issues would be 1) Which forks would work the best? (maybe the '02, since it's the newest?); 2) Would one of them be easier to install than the others?

I'd rate myself as an intermediate level rider. The bike is trail-ridden only (not planning on racing). I'm about 170 pounds.

Also, I'm planning on installing the entire "front end" (brakes, wheel, forks) and not using any of the KDX front end parts. Is this the easiest way to go?

Any help/advice is much-appreciated!
:supz:

-Jim
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

02 KX 125... reason being, lighter springs and more up to date.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

+1
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

you'll still need to press the kdx stem ini the kx clamp.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:02 KX 125... reason being, lighter springs and more up to date.
Any idea if the '02s are different/better than the '00 125 forks? The '02 forks are leaking just a little bit (can't see any leaks from the '00 forks). Maybe now is a good time to learn how to rebuild forks... :mrgreen:
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Rebuilding is easy. There are vids on Rocky Mountain that show you how. I recommend changing the bushings too, since I always seem to ding at least one when I do it. it also gives you the chance to soften up the valving for trail riding at the same time.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I did a little research and realized the '02 forks are 48mm. vs. 46mm. for the '00 forks. Looks like I'll be using the '02 forks.

Mike, thanks for the heads-up on the videos. It doesn't look too complicated to rebuild a set of forks.