97 KX250 triple clamps

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

97 KX250 triple clamps

Post by johnyblaze »

I assembled the goodies for my fork conversion from several different sources. The forks, wheel/axle, and clamps were 3 seperate buys.

Now I have my forks back from the shop and my lower clamp back from RB designs. Trouble is - it almost seems the clamps are a bit small for the outer diameter of the upper tubes. In it's unsprung position the lower clamp holes look to be about 2-3 mm smaller than the OD of the forks. Less so at the upper clamp

I've only done one other conversion - on my KLX300. I remember I had to spread the clamps a bit (with a large screwdriver) to get the forks to slide in. I don't remember this big a difference.

I'm wondering if I can really spread them that much or maybe the clamps were from an older KX and mislabeled on ebay. The forks are 46mm at the lower tube - so they are definitely in the 97-98 range and the axle/wheel fits. That leaves the clamps as the possible culprit.

Or, maybe I'm being a wuss and this is perfectly normal. Does anybody have a set of 97-98 clamps laying around that they could measure the IDs on? Do I need to assemble the forks/wheel and put a little upward spring into the equation to set them into place? Could I put a sliver of metal in the crimp slot and tighten the bolt from the backside to spread the hole a bit more without damaging the threads?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by johnyblaze on 11:03 am May 28 2010, edited 1 time in total.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

some forks/clamps are 46 mm, others are 48...you might have the wrong size fork for your clamp.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Might be able to have them bored....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Ya, my 1st thought was to overbore the clamps I have. They're really beefy and I don't think 1mm all around would affect their strength a substantial amount. The beauty is that I'm sure I could find a machinist in the area to do it. Otherwise, I'd have to wait for a different set of clamps and then still have to wait to have the stems replaced.

I was hoping somebody would have an idea what the diffence in the unsprung clamp dia and the fork barrell should be. I'm guessing mot over 1mm difference, but that's just a guess.

Anyone see a problem with boring the clamps by 1mm all around?

Thanks
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

1mm is nothing in the grand scheme of things.... I would do it in a heartbeat.... I mean, the stem is already pressed.... no looking back! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

I have some 97/98 clamps at home, I can mesure and post the results tonight.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Ah, Thanks Trucker.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Top clamp aplied racing 53.8 mm
bottom clamp stock 58.8 mm

The forks the selves are about .5 mm bigger, I had to pry the bottom clamp slightly so the forks would go in in.

What I liked about my 97's was that I could take the wheel off without taking the axle out, it made very easy and fast. Just a tought.

hope this helps
Gallery!
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Thanks Trucker.

On a lark I tried my clamps on an old set of 43mm forks I have laying around from a previous project. They fit perfectly. I definitely bought a mismarked set of clamps. There are several sets of clamps available on ebay for the 96-98 forks. Think I'll order a set - after I have the seller check hole size that is. Even if I could have the 43mm clamps bored I'm not sure the centerline distance from fork to fork is the same as the actual 97 clamps. Any difference would cause the forks to bind.

I like that feature as well. Easy on/off.

I see you're from Chicoutimi. I live in Maine, USA but have ridden through your area a few times. Nice country. I'll be through on the Bandit again in a few weeks.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

I'm actualy moving south in 4 weeks to quebec city. Maine must be a realy nice place to ride. Some of the quad trails near the border have just opened their doors to bikes last week. 200 km of trail that can be riden legaly. Trails around the city are starting to become quite rare.
Gallery!
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Good luck in QC.

I'm lucky here. I have hundreds of miles of the roughest, rockiest, rooty and snotty ATV trails you can imagine at my disposal. I live in western Maine. Never even see an ATV on the trails. I've been spoiled.

Again, thanks for the info and good luck.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S