shorten my KX forks

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
curtisa

shorten my KX forks

Post by curtisa »

I think I need to shorten my KX forks (KDX 200 bike) and it seems to me all I need to do is shorten the springs and shorten the inner fork rod by the same amount and then re-thread the fork rod so i can put the innards back together. Can I just cut the springs with a bolt cutter or do I need a precise cut? Is this the correct approach or is there a better way?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The correct way to do it is to slide the forks up in the clamps. Shortening the springs is going to create a dead area and cause allot of wear on the tubes.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
curtisa

Post by curtisa »

I've slid them up to the point where they're almost hitting the bars. If I shorten the inner fork rod I can't see how there will be a dead spot, only loss of travel.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Because you are going to have more tube than spring.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

get some bar riser.
How tall are you?
If you start messin with the front you'll have to do the same with the back...
You can make some longer linkage for the rear shock that'll lower the back.
I'm planning to do that for my GF.
There are a few girls riding KDX here, never heard of them cutting the forks or having height issue...