Cudos to RB, but have a ?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Little Jeff

Cudos to RB, but have a ?

Post by Little Jeff »

Just got my lower KX triple clamp with KDX stem pressed in and spacer. Thanks Ron, another wonderful job. I have a question about fork heigth in the upper triple clamp though. How far do your forks protrude from the top of the triple clamp? Mine are about 5/16" from the top of the triple clamp (first line on forks). There's only about 1/4" to the top of the compression adjuster to the bottom of my handlebar. Does that sound about right? I have an Applied Racing triple clamp for a'01 KX 125 with stock heigth bar risers and top clamp for Scotts steering dampner. Forks are off an '01 KX125 also. Was thinking maybe I should return the stock heigth bar risers and get ones that are 5mm taller, but just not sure. I have to say, it looks really good so far, hope it handles as good as it looks. That'll be a while yet though.
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mine are almost touching the bars.... If the frontend is too high, your frontend will drift badly.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

I can only raise them about another 1/4". If I go any higher, the upper clamping area on the forks will be inside of the triple clamp and i will lose the full clamping ability of the clamp. I hope i described that right.
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It may be fine where it is or you may even need to raise the frontend. I am just saying that there is not a set measurement.... you riding the bike will tell you what has to happen.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

When it was all mocked up, it seemed obviously a little higher than the stock KDX forks. I will be returning the stock bar risers , which are 20mm to get the 30mm so I have a little more room to adjust the compression clickers on the trails. I will bring up the forks as high as I can go in the upper triple clamps and go from there and see what happens. That should bring the forks up to about a 1/2"+ above the triple clamp.
Indawoods, how do you like your setup for woods riding vs. the stock forks? Also, did you use an aftermarket valve, like a Goldvalve or is yours stock? I know alot of questions, sorry. Do the KX125 forks use progressive springs?
Little Jeff
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

There is no comparison between stock and the KX forks. Seriously, they are in completely different leagues.

Stock is OK for crawling if you are within the weight range of whatever springs are installed... and probably what they were designed for... but if you get above 3rd gear like I do in the woods... you cannot feel safe riding on spagetti... they just don't have the diameter to give a confidence inspired ride. I also have a Scotts stabilizer and it makes a huge difference in safely riding at any kind of speed.... but that's another chapter....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:. I also have a Scotts stabilizer and it makes a huge difference in safely riding at any kind of speed.... but that's another chapter....
This is the next major mod for me. The front wheel shake is a bit scary at high speed. I had it with the stock forks and still have it with KX125 forks

my forks have two lines etched into them about 3/16" apart and I have set the forks on the bottom line. My front end is slightly higher with it there but I like the ride
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

I also have an apllied top clamp, but my combo is for a 98 kx setup. Judging by the web site both top clamps are similar in design. I have the solid bar mounts. To get about an inch more clearance I cut two pieces of 1 inch by 1 inch aluminum bar drilled a hole the size of the bolt for the bar mounts and found some longer bolts. Put all that together and this is what it looks like.

[img][url=http:800:600]http://i85.servimg.com/u/f85/11/15/73/95/sac_210.jpg[/img][/url][/img]

I had my forks sticking out to the second line and had no problems, but the bottom clamping portion of the forks was not completely in the clamps.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!