Gonna try and get this done, KX front end that is

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Little Jeff

Gonna try and get this done, KX front end that is

Post by Little Jeff »

I am seriously thinking about putting a KX front end on my KDX200. What particular years of KX 125 front end am I looking for. Will KX250 front ends work as well? I "might" have access to a '98 KX250 front end complete. What years were the same on the KX125's? For instance did '99-'02s have the same forks, wheels and triple clamps, etc... If I can't get the 250 front end, I might have to get parts fron different years of bikes and I need to know what parts are compatible with other parts. Thanks for your time and patience. I will be having a lot of questions
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The only difference I know of between KX250 and KX125 Frontends is the spring rates. KX125 spring rates are better suited for woods use so overall costs are usually lower when buying a KX125 frontend.

96 up is your best bet. As you go up in years so does the tube size. My '03's are 48mm..... '96's are 46mm I believe. If I had to do it again... I would go with the smaller tubes to get a tiny bit more flex.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

The other difference I know of is that the 99-02 KX 125 top triple clamp has solid bar mounts. The KX 250's have rubber mounted bar mounts.
I tried both and preferred the solid mounts. Also the '99 KX 125 springs are progressive rate.
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

OK guys, I got the ball rolling here. I bought a set of used '01 KX 125 forks with the solid bar mount triple clamps. I still have to order the wheel and the front axle. I have some other questions though. Will my '00 KDX front brake caliper and brake line work on those forks? Seeings how the '01 triple clamps is set up for 7/8" bars, I have some bar adapters that will raise them about 5/8" so I can use 1 1/8" bars, what is the center to center hole spacing for the solid bar mount triple clamp? If it is 3 1/2", then what I have will work, then all that I need to get is the Scotts upper bar clamp for my Scotts steering stabalizer. Thanks for your patience here
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
roadkillrobert

Post by roadkillrobert »

Brake line and Caliper will be fine, just do the KDX style routing - the fork guard slider guide has a loop in the front of it for the brake like to run through, then just route it like the KDX, caliper bolts right up. If you look, all the new bikes are running the brake line routing this way anyway instead of under the fork like the 01 KDX.

I am also running a 99-01 front end with solid mounts, I used the ProTaper adapters for the solid mount bars to 1 1/8" bars ($35), was lot's of length in the wires and brake line even with the extra height, and the bars are perfect for me with the extra height on CR high bend bars.

Good luck!
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

I still hope I can use my Pro Taper CR HI bend bars that I have now with my steering stabalizer. By moving everything up with the bar risers, my welded on tower might not be long enough. Might have to machine an extension for the tower to reach stabalizer.
Little Jeff
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

I ordered my '03 KX125 front wheel today and the front axle. The guy I bought it from said the '03 wheel will work with the '01 forks and triple clamp. I hope that it does. Can anyone confirm this?
Little Jeff
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I have an '01 wheel on my '03 fork setup, so I would think the reverse would work as well.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Thanks for all the replies. Can't wait to get this done. Are you guys using your stock valves that are in the forks or going with aftermarket? I plan on getting the forks rebuilt, new seals, dust seals, bushings, etc.... and springs for my weight.
Little Jeff
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

most removed some of the bigger shims without changing spring and it seems pretty good. you can look at my profile and see my shim stack configuration, far from perfect but was good enough to ride and better than stock.
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:The only difference I know of between KX250 and KX125 Frontends is the spring rates. KX125 spring rates are better suited for woods use so overall costs are usually lower when buying a KX125 frontend.

96 up is your best bet. As you go up in years so does the tube size. My '03's are 48mm..... '96's are 46mm I believe. If I had to do it again... I would go with the smaller tubes to get a tiny bit more flex.
What's the advatage of more fork flex?
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A little is good.... allot is bad... none sucks!

A little fork flex makes for an easier more compliant ride.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "