Thanks to everyone who did it first and made it easy!

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
roadkillrobert

Thanks to everyone who did it first and made it easy!

Post by roadkillrobert »

Just put the 99-01 KX125 front end on my KDX, got a mint set of forks and a wheel, axle, spacers. Bought a 20 ton press from harbor freight, KX stem popped right out like nothing, KDX took a little heat, but then came right out and pressed in nicely to the KX triple. Bolted it up used the KDX brake routing and was done - whole thing after all the info I gained here only took about an hour, looks great and hopefully works great also!

Just need to make a lower mount for the headlight and put in my RBDesigns spacer when it comes and it will be ready to ride!

Love the amount of info here on this subject!

Rob
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Show pics of your headlight mount when you do it. I used the rubber straps and hate them.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|QBB<[/url]
Colorado Mike wrote:Show pics of your headlight mount when you do it. I used the rubber straps and hate them.
Here is mine.

I bought a piece of Alum. from lowes, bent it im my vice. Drilled holes done
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Looks pretty clean. Thanks franken.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
roadkillrobert

Post by roadkillrobert »

Almost done the headlight mount, the KX lower triple has 2 nubs ready to go on it, I smoothed them out and drilled and threaded them, then I cut the ears off the lower mount on the headlight and made 2 new ones that are slightly longer and point more straight down, so basically it looks like stock except the mounts are a little closer together.

Oh and I switch the top mounts side to side to lower the headlight about 3/4 inch so I didn't have to make the lower mounts to long.

I will try to take a pic tonight of the progress.

Rob
roadkillrobert

Post by roadkillrobert »

Pics of the completed headlight mount.

Rob
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Looks great. Careful with the lower hose guide I tried to use the KDX version like yours and my fork guard hit it and broke the fork guard.

I ended up using the KX version that sits higher
roadkillrobert

Post by roadkillrobert »

Thanks for the advice - I will measure it out and adjust that guide accordingly.

Rob
roadkillrobert

Post by roadkillrobert »

>|<>QBB<
frankenschwinn wrote:Looks great. Careful with the lower hose guide I tried to use the KDX version like yours and my fork guard hit it and broke the fork guard.

I ended up using the KX version that sits higher
I took a look and I am going to switch the top and bottom brake line mounts, the top one looks like the KX one, goes up off the mount much higher and will allow for clearance with the fork guard and the upper one can be a little lower, would actually help with my higher handlebars.

Rob