Ride height question...

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ride height question...

Post by Colorado Mike »

For those of you who have made the switch to the KX forks, I have a few questions:

Does the ride height stay close to the same? I remember somebody saying his bike got a lot taller.

What was the biggest problem in doing the install? I'm assuming it would be swapping the spindles.

How did you handle the lack of mounting locations in the KX triple trees for the KDX headlight assembly? Just go to a number plate?

I would really like to get rid of the underhang of the stock forks, but would like to keep the headlight. I also thought the KLX 300 had the same frame as the KDX, and has USD forks. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I got a stock KDX headlight on mine Mike. Just takes some rigging.... Stock mounting on top (stretched to high heaven!)...ty-raps on the bottom... no problem! :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The KX forks are 1 inch longer... just gotta drop them in the trees to give it the same ride height.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

KLX forks dont have rebound adjustment either.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

CM, if you are going to go to the trouble of doing a swap, go for KX forks instead of USD KDX or KLX forks. The KX forks are more advanced internally and offer more tuning options internally. The rebound adjustment capability KAY DEE EXER mentioned sounds nice, too.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Thanks all, good info.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDX200Kev

Post by KDX200Kev »

Indawoods wrote:The KX forks are 1 inch longer... just gotta drop them in the trees to give it the same ride height.
How far can the forks be raised in the triple clamp before you risk your front wheel hitting your fender when the forks are fully compression?
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Mike, On my swap the hardest thing for me was getting my own butt un gear to get it done. I had to piece my front end together because I could'nt finr a complete front end to buy..... well I did but thats another story. :evil: anyways finding all the right parts was my second biggest problem.

I did'nt really measure the front end before or after the fork swap. But just getting on the bike told me it was close, maybe a tad taller. It has about a 1/4 inch of forks throught the top of the clamps.

As far as the headlight, I swapped it for SOMEBODIES UFO headlight. It has rubber elastic bands that wrap around the fork tubes. Holds very well. Thanks Indi. :wink:

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Kev:
You will have the forks hit your handlebars before the front wheel starts skidding on the underside of the fender.

Hardest part? Finding someone to knurl my lower clamp so the stem would fit.
Next hardest? Rounding up shim stock materials.

Now that I know who and how to ask for the knurling, it's no problem. Also, now that I know what types of outlets carry shim stock, also not problem.

So the next hardest part is getting all the components together. Buying everything at once from the same bike sure is a big step in the right direction. Several guys buying parts from different sources have varying degrees of difficulties.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

KDX200Kev wrote:
How far can the forks be raised in the triple clamp before you risk your front wheel hitting your fender when the forks are fully compression?
Kev...these ain't no KDX forks! :lol:

Mine are raised as far as they will go before hitting the bars (pics in my Gallery) ... if they get close to bottoming out... you should go with a stiffer shim setup, heavier springs and heavier oil. I ride in the woods for pete's sake.... not out doing triples! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If your forks are not bottoming out lightly a few times, then you aren't getting all the travel you paid for. No need for drastic changes when one isn't using all the travel already. Heavier oil breaks down quicker than lighter oil.

What goes up must come down, so heavier oil = slower rebound.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Agree: My forks lightly bottom every ride based on the wiping action and dirt line I see at the bottom of the fork tube. I don't feel them bottoming though. No skid marks on my fender and the forks are within 1/16" of kissing the bars.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I failed to mention one point on mine and thats the problem if you want to call it that of the stock top clamp not fitting the stem. The hole was to big. Lucky that I had Emig's doing my work, so I just purchased his top clamp and bar clamps. He said I could have just fashioned a bushing for it but I wanted his top clamps anyways. Just made it a convenient excuse to buy it. :razz:

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

skipro3 wrote:Agree: My forks lightly bottom every ride based on the wiping action and dirt line I see at the bottom of the fork tube. I don't feel them bottoming though. No skid marks on my fender and the forks are within 1/16" of kissing the bars.
I guess they do... but I don't get any fender action that I can tell... I don't think 1 inch is going to be that critical.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I've never really took a look at how far down the forks have compressed. Maybe I'll take a look at that this weekend. I'm getting edgy to try out my knee to see if it's going to stay up or give out. :supz:

Jon.
KDX200Kev

Post by KDX200Kev »

Thats good to read you have not had any problems with your front wheel hitting your fender. I have a WER which lowers the front fender a half inch and that is my concern.