damaged fork?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

damaged fork?

Post by scheckaet »

while cleaning the forks I found some damages at the very bottom of the inner tube :evil:
one is a scratch about 3 mm long x 1 mm wide and about 30 mm (1 inch) from the bottom of the tube.
The other is a ding/dent not too deep (0.5 mm maybe) but deep enough that I can see it feel it from the inside and is 10 mm from the bottom

I am not too worried about the dent since it's so close to the bottom of the fork, but the scratch has me wondering if it's worth putting new seals and bushings. Can this be "smoothed/buffed out"? or are they shot? :?

Thanks

Wilf
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

The dent is too blurry to get a detailed look at but there is probably not much you can do about it and if it's that close to the end of the tube I don't think I'd worry about it.

The ding on the other hand is a bit different. You need to remove the displaced material (the burr) and smooth the pit out or it will tear up your new seal.

Use a fine polishing stone or a small round file and get the sharp edges off. You may be able to use emery cloth but I prefer the stone. You can find them shaped like a pencil which is the one you need.

I've been doing that for years and it's worked quite well. I've even been able to polish up an area where the chrome has been chipped off and the seal has held up for years.

Shoot, I even polish up small dings on a regular basis as a preventative maintainance.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

the scratch appears old and fairly smooth (no burr). I read on TT about the superglue trick, I will try that. Hopefully it'll hold up. It's so far down the tube that I think I'll be fine.
I might try your tips too.
Thanks
zz3gmc

Post by zz3gmc »

As a forklift mechanic, I see alot of the damage that you have on your fork leg on hydraulic cylinders. As mentioned above, smooth out the high spots. I then "sweat" the area or heat it with a propane torch to remove any oil residue. You can actually see droplets rise out of the heated area. Clean with contact cleaner. I use a 2 part epoxy, a more liquidy type works very well in filling the knick. Let it set up and sand it smooth. Ive done this on some seriously damaged hyd rods, and fork tubes, with great success.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
zz3gmc wrote:As a forklift mechanic, I see alot of the damage that you have on your fork leg on hydraulic cylinders. As mentioned above, smooth out the high spots. I then "sweat" the area or heat it with a propane torch to remove any oil residue. You can actually see droplets rise out of the heated area. Clean with contact cleaner. I use a 2 part epoxy, a more liquidy type works very well in filling the knick. Let it set up and sand it smooth. Ive done this on some seriously damaged hyd rods, and fork tubes, with great success.
Great advice - Only thing I would add is when sanding the area a fine wet-dry (400 or possible finer ) should be used; final polish/sand the area like a proffesional shoe shiner/buffer.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
trex

Post by trex »

As the best rule don't be cheap replace the tube you'll feel better and if you sell the bike you don't have to deal with mad buyer just a thought.