What hub is this?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

What hub is this?

Post by canyncarvr »

Went to put my new bearings in my ebay wheel...they don't fit. The KX axle I have doesn't fit in the wheel either...but the new bearings DO fit the axle.

The axle seems to fit in the forks OK..as well as I can see without the wheel being part of the assembly anyway. The diameters (axle/fork) fit.

The axle is about 3mm bigger than the bearing ID in the hub. The hub doesn't have much on it as far as identification...'Made in Japan' and 'Kawasaki' ...some F-1212 number.

So....all of the parts I got were supposedly from '99 KX250s.

Somebody lied about something.

The wheel bearings have a larger OD than the KX bearings I bought, so it's not a lucky matter of being able to put the 'proper' bearings in this hub.

Anyone with any good guesses as to what's going on? Unless by some strange chance there is an axle out there that will fit a smaller ID bearing and still fit the forks, it seems I'm again looking to buy a wheel.

It has an Excel rim on it..maybe I should look into getting a real hub (Talon or something?)

This is going well. The first five minutes into my fork swap..and I'm stuck.

Neat!

Thanks for any advisories!

:cry:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

CC - That sucks pretty hard. I'd measure the axle and hub and go down to the local bearing supply and see if they've got something that will work. Heck, give CBR a call and see if they have something that will work. That way you'd get some decent bearings...

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well CC... I think you need to get the specs on the hub and see what it is you have. If that hub is 1mm off...it will cause uneven wear on your other components. Is there a part number on that hub anywhere?

Real hub? What is wrong with the stock KX hub?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I know your 99's may be different to my 03's but if needed on Tuesday I will tear it down and get you any measurements you may need. What a bummer CC, sorry for your misfortune.

Vincey I don't think he means there is anything wrong with KX hubs in general just he needs to replace his with a proper 99 KX hub. If that makes sense.

On a lighter note, how'd the machinist go with your clamps and stems ??

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

...come on get involved, there's a mystery to solve...

Any chance you can break out the measurements? The '99 KX250 front wheel bearings are supposed to be 20mm x 37mm x 9mm. What are yours, both old and new?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Thanks for the numbers Jason. I'll measure both of them and let you know.

I'll bet the new bearings are correct..and the axle is correct, because the bearings fits the axle and the axle fits the forks.

It's the wheel/hub that's not right. Guess it doesn't matter WHAT it is..it's just not right.

I'm taking the stuff into a local dealer/KX owner that hopefully can tell me what's up.

KayDee: The clamp work went fine as far as I know. When I actually get it together I'll know more.

The KDX stem was knurled (not my choice, but he said he had no way to knurl an inside diameter (clamp). That makes no sense to me, but no reason to argue about it. He set it up with a .003" interference fit. That's more than a smooth fit (usually around .001" he said), but he figured the knurled stem would cut a good bit. Used Loctite Green for cylindrical fitting parts. The machinist said the first 1/3 of the press went fine..but it got real stiff real quick. He grabbed a cheater bar to press it to the clip-seat. His arbor press handle is probably around 20" long and it runs the press through a gear set to boot (more leverage). Which is to say the stem is definitely IN the clamp. The bushing in the top clamp is cute as a button..and fits the top of the stem perfectly.

No numbers on the hub that look like a PN to me. Oh...I said that already! ;)

Stupid wheel....... :mad:

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

canyncarvr wrote:Stupid wheel....... :mad:
LOL!! I was really feeling sorry for you, then I read your final words and choked on my Diet Dr. Pepper.

Glad we (you) decided not to install this last week. Same as Trev offered; I can measure anything you want on my '96 wheel if you want. That way you can find out from Trev and me if a '99 or '96 wheel / hub will fit your forks/axle. Just post up a photo with the arrows and such, indicating what you would like measurements on.

Good luck with the dealer and finding out just what the heck you bought. No way to get it to work? I'm beginning to think you are jinxed, or at least your e-bay mojo is wack.

BTW, "words mean something" Then what does "get a real hub" mean then? Hmmmm? The talon hub would be dang pretty though.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Here we go:

'Most' KX hubs (from '93 up) take the same bearing, a 6904 which is a 20-37-9 (OD/ID/Width). A '92 takes a 6203 which is a 17-40-12.

So...take a 20-42-12 bearing (I forger the 6xxx number) and stuff it in a machined (2mm) '92 hub and you should be good to go. Well...with a hub spacer that fits anyway.

So, the ebay arse that sold me a '99 KX hub (that took weeks to get because he was 'out of town' or 'busy') really sold me a '92 hub.

Maybe have to un-spoke the thing to have the work done..that may entail a set of spokes/nips and relacing the thing.

The joy marches on!!

A 'real' hub? One that FITS!!

**edit**
Yes, I realize that dust seals and the internal hub spacer is an 'issue'. Got that handled. I'll end up with some hermaphraditic boondoggle..but it might work.

I'll call it my Pat wheel!!! :roll:

...sometimes I just kill myself.....
Last edited by canyncarvr on 02:13 pm May 26 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hmmm...CC. I would take a different approach... buy a REAL 99 wheel and sell that POS!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The one thing that suits me about the machining part of the '92 wheel is the bearing.

The later bearings are little teeny crappers that are problematic due to their size. If I end up with a 12mm wide, 42mm OD bearing, that will suit me just fine.

The Excel spokes and rim that are ON the '92 hub are something I'd like to keep, too.

Oh..and it also has a new Braking rotor! Well, that part could come off I 'spose.

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I am glad to hear you are getting some where with it. Does the '92 axle fit the '99 fork clamps? I doubt it, but it is worth asking.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Don't know about that.

Just checked BuyKawi on the rotors. They are not the same PN. Look at EBC rotors on RM and they show the same rotor for something like '89-04...so I wouldn't know much if BuyKawi axles PNs weren't the same...and they aren't.

From the drawing and parts list I see the '92 axle threads into the LH leg and the '99 axle slipfits into the LH leg..is held with a nut.

So, the answer is, 'No. The '92 axle will not fit the '99 forks.

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Sorry to not check it myself. I am lazy. :-) I saw where it was 90 - 92 applicable, as far as part numbers go, but sometimes it is a lot better to have at least one of the parts in your hand.

I say sell what you have and try again on the wheel. AS far as getting sold the wrong wheel, [redneck]KICK HIS ASS, SEABASS!![/redneck]

Thanks.