KX or KDX brake assembly?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
SOARSKI
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KX or KDX brake assembly?

Post by SOARSKI »

What is the preferred brake setup for a 2003 USD conversion. I don't mind spending a little extra and jumping through a few hoops to have a nice clean setup. I think I would want to keep my headlight. I don't want to buy the kx brake assembly if it doesn't ad better functionality.

Advantages/Disadvantages PLEEEEZ
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The stock KX assembly puts the brake line low and could be in harm's way. The KDX brake line, routed CR style is better in my opinion.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I like the KDX setup better... but run mine KX style. No problems yet.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bezoar
Supporting Member

Post by bezoar »

I am waiting for my KX forks to arrive this week and have also been wondering which way I will do this. Any pictures would be awesome !
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I don't know how much you can see but the bike on the right (mine) has KX routing.... The bike on the left (my brothers) has a KDX setup. If you click on the picture it becomes larger...

The KX setup is cleaner... but the KDX setup works equally as well.

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bezoar
Supporting Member

Post by bezoar »

Thanks Inda, cant really see your brothers. Regarding yours, it was my understanding that the brake cable had to go in front of the plate. Just curious.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Nah... not at all.... as long as it threads through the stays....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

bezoar
Supporting Member

Post by bezoar »

I'm leaning towards the KX routing. Fixing the cable to the end of a piece of plastic has be kind of bugged. I figure if the cable gets smashed under the axle/fork bottom, I've got worse things to worry about.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

There is a very thick plastic guard where it goes under...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

>|QBB<[/url]
bezoar wrote:I am waiting for my KX forks to arrive this week and have also been wondering which way I will do this. Any pictures would be awesome !
My KX setup

In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
zz3gmc

Post by zz3gmc »

When I used to race YZ250s in enduros, I would use the longer brake hose from a WR250/426 to clear the WR headlight I had on it. Would the hose from a KLX450 work?
bezoar
Supporting Member

Post by bezoar »

I would love to see some pics with the KDX routing, specifically how the brake line is attached to the fork.....if anybody has them. Thanks!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

zip ties are used most of the time, run the line on the "inside" of the fork guard