USD's hitting tank

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
bezoar
Supporting Member

USD's hitting tank

Post by bezoar »

It seems that some people have had to mod their stops, and others have not had the triples hit there tank. Looking through the posts I could not find any pattern regarding what year USDs were the ones that hit, and which ones don't. Does anybody have some insight on this? Thanks. Love reading this site.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mine touches.... don't really care. It is rare that my handlebars are all the way to one side.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Depends on brand and year..... alot of them will touch the tank a bit, but not bad...... like Vinces. Some will really dig into the tank. Just depends on the configuration. Either way, its not a big deal. If it touches a bit, dont worry about it. If it is hitting it pretty good, either build up some weld on the stops that are on the frame (if you weld), or make a shim to bolt on the existing stops to keep the tripple clamp from turning so far. Most guys do this. Our photo gallery is gone, but im sure someone out ther has a pic of this.......?
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
bezoar
Supporting Member

Post by bezoar »

Thanks, I was just wondering if the newer forks......02, 03, 04, 05 might be a little larger and hit more deeply than older ones like 96-98 which I think have a different tripple offset and are thinner forks. Ether way it can be fixed, but it would be easier not to have to mod the stop. I suspect it is just a matter of 'try and see'