top clamp-shim stock vs knurling

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
pElf28p

top clamp-shim stock vs knurling

Post by pElf28p »

I am in the middle of a swap and need to do something to get the top clamp and the stem to fit well. As I inderstand, my two options would be either knurling or using the appropriate shim stock to fill the gap. Are there any significant advantages to knurling over using shim stock, or vica versa? I think the shim stock route would be easiest, no? I havn't talked to a machinest yet...
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

I don't think anyone here has knurled the top clamp. Knurling is used to get a good fit to the bottom clamp. Most people use shim stock or in my case RB machined a beautiful sleeve. :)
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

I do make a bushing for this purpose.

Ron
pElf28p

Post by pElf28p »

So knurling would be used for a pressed fit, such as the bottom clamp? I think I got it. Thanks.
pElf28p

Post by pElf28p »

Ron,
What would be involved with possibly getting a bushing from you? Would I have to take some measurements and send them your way?
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

>|<>QBB<
pElf28p wrote:Ron,
What would be involved with possibly getting a bushing from you? Would I have to take some measurements and send them your way?
I do have a standard bushing that is already made up. It fits the standard KX / KDX fork swap that uses the KX forks and T-clamps with the KDX stem. If your set up is different, I can make you one to your dimensions.

I sent you a PM

Ron