Custum stem?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
pElf28p

Custum stem?

Post by pElf28p »

So in my quest to see if I can mesh an 02 yami front end with my 01 kdx 220 I am wondering what you guys think it would take to make a custum stem that would fit the 02 Yamaha triple triple to the kdx. I have access to machine equipment. Any ideas would be appreciated, i.e. materials, measurements, ect...

p.s. the reason I am thinking of going this route (instead of using a kx triple tree) is because I am concerned about getting the right fork spacing for the 02 yamaha front wheel.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

what's the deal with the triple you have? Stem is too big? too small? If it's too big, have the lower triple machined out to fit.

I'm using mid 90's yz forks. I didn't have any real trouble installing them. The lower triple had to be machined out just a fuzz for the KDX stem to press in.
pElf28p

Post by pElf28p »

I actually don't have a triple clamp yet. I am trying to figure out which one I should buy that will be easiest to install. My thinking is that I should go with the 02 yami clamp (to go with the 02 forks I have) and then work from there to get the stem to work. I am just cautious to buy the yami clamps without know if it can actually be done.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

um, yeah. It is a sort of wierd spot to be in. I'm running older yz forks. I had to grab a 95 top triple to fit the stem, and have the lower triple bored out a hair to accept the kdx stem. It's really hard to say until you have the parts in hand.

One thing that helps you out a little, if you bought it on ebay, you can sell it on ebay! I'm not familiar enough with late model yz's to tell you what year forks were the same. I know they increased the size and improved the internals in 93 vs the late 80's early 90's models, and I think they kept that fork until about 98. I would browse some yz forums and see what you can find out about 98+ as far as diameter at the triples goes...

If I'm not mistaken, there's a later model yz fork conversion in this forum somewhere.... Don't remember the specifics off hand, but that might help if we can find it, or if someone (the author?) want's to chime in?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ghlight=yz

nope. It's was Jeb's conversion, and he used 98 forks. SHOULD be the same forks I'm running. I do not know if the 02 forks are the same or not.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Elf: You do understand what makes a stem 'fit', correct?

If you have access to machine equipment, I assume you are knowledgeable in not only its use, but how to 'figure' stuff you use it for.

What you have to do is match the KDX in a number of areas: Bearing fit, length of the stem with threads that will 'fit' the length of the steering stem tube with the needed washers/seals/fasteners.

That's the advantage of KX parts..the KDX stem usually fits in the bottom clamp and, using a KDX stem, the bearing fit and other items that need to 'fit' generally DO that.

Re: '...without know if it can actually be done.'

It can be done. Guaranteed. Given the clamps with the correct offset to fit the wheel setup you have, given access to machine tools and the ability to use 'em (I could have 'access' to a state-of-the-art shop..and wouldn't have a CLUE where the on/off switches were...), you can easily make a stem that will work.

I'd like a set of Showas on my bike. If you find yourself really enjoying the process..you can make me up a 'bolt-in' set of them!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!