Fork Upgrade on KDX - Pics on routing the front brake line?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
dansavage

Fork Upgrade on KDX - Pics on routing the front brake line?

Post by dansavage »

I just got done installing a set of KX forks on my '02 KDX 220.

The only thing left to deal with is routing and securing the KDX brake line to the forks. Does anyone have any pics of theirs they can post or send to me? I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Did you reinstall the headlight? If you didn't, the brake line needs to be in front of the number plate. Here's mine.

In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

KDXButtFly, my brother and myself just finished replacing my brothers forks and we just route it between the forks and tire, up to the fork guard guide and put it in the holder up to the second guide on the triple trees and to the master cylinder.

It has worked just fine for 2 years prior without any hangup or rubbing. Some are anal about the routing but we usually take the minimalist approach.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
dansavage

Post by dansavage »

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll give it a shot as per the above. I'm ready to give the modified bike a trial run, it will be a few weeks though because I'm going through a bit of a transition.

Do you guys know the torque specs of the clamp bolts? If not, no biggie, I'll see if I can find a KX owners manual online somewhere.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

10-12 foot pounds.... otherwise stiction will be a problem.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'The only thing left to deal with is routing and securing the KDX brake line to the forks.'

Hi or low?

It's not simply a matter of a way to do it..the parts required are different. If indeed you are using the KDX line, the only way it can route is 'hi'. It's too short to run 'low'.

Anal? I have a stamped, formed metal guide to route the brakeline around the fork (hi-route). I have it, but I have yet to put it on. It would require some drilling, pop-rivets, smoothing the inside of the mount via epoxy or some-such to keep it from rubbing on the fork....etc.

Minimalist? I've had my brake line tie-wrapped to the front fork guard for years. I think it's broken once over that time.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Didn't even use a Ty-Wrap! HA! :cool:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

SOARSKI
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by SOARSKI »

>|QBB<[/url]
VirtualVarmint wrote:Did you reinstall the headlight? If you didn't, the brake line needs to be in front of the number plate. Here's mine.

Is this brake line a kdx or kx brake line?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's a KX setup.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Hate to bring this thread out of retirement - but that's better than boring everone with the same old thing.

Indawoods - do I understand you correctly that you routed your brother's front brakeline through the upper guide (on the clamp) and then the lower guide on the forkguard guide and then just looped it inside the forkguard and down to the caliper? Nothing on the forkguard to stabilize the end of the stiff outer layer of the brakeline? Seems like the looped lower end would flop around a bit and maybe get worn by the rotor catching it every now and again.

Did you use the KX or the KDX brakeline?
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It is completely a KDX brake setup on the KX forks and triple trees.

You are correct. It goes from the caliper to the first loop on the guard guide to the guide on the triples....

It is stiff enough that it does not wear on anything to date.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Thanks Inda - looks like the easiest answer I've seen.