94 USD SWAP WITH SAME VINTAGE KX FORKS

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
NICKDX

94 USD SWAP WITH SAME VINTAGE KX FORKS

Post by NICKDX »

Would it be worth it for me to swap out he stock usd's for kx forks of the same year with more adjustments ? Should i just get a set off a 99 or newer for the bigger diam? (if thats swap is possible on my bike?) or just get a new bike since there are vast improvements with the parameter frame?
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The 94 is a great bike. Great power and super comfy to ride. The 94 KX forks would offer some improvement I'm sure. If someone is handing them to you, go for it. If you're paying any amount of money for them maybe shop around for something newer. I put mid 90's yz250 forks on my 89 and absolutely LOVE the difference. I used them because I got the entire front end for free. All I had to do was press the KDX stem into the YZ lower triple and bolt everything up. I was previously using a set of 1994 KDX USD's that were on my bike when I got it.

I'm not sure if the 94 KX forks will slide into your triples or not. Can anyone confirm? I think the 94 KDX USD forks are 41mm?
NICKDX

Post by NICKDX »

what was involved with the yz conversion? Same as the kx? THANKS FOR THE REPLY
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Pretty close yeah. I had the complete yz250 front end though. The triples I used are 95 yz250 and the forks are maybe 93 or 94. Same fork from 93-99 for the yz, but the triples vary. The 95 triples were a closer match for the KDX stem so I picked up the 95 triples on ebay and used them in place of the triples that came with my free front end. I had to have the stem pressed out of the KDX lower triple, and the yz lower triple had to be machined out a touch to fit the KDX stem. It was then pressed in and everything bolted up. I made a small brass bushing to take up some space where the stem goes through the upper triple. I used the yz250 caliper and the KDX master cylinder.

Ride height is good, and the handling is superb in comparison to the KDX forks. As an added bonus, I'm no longer afraid to get the bike up in the air a little bit :D.

J.