KX fork report #1 (KAY DEE EXER)

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Ahhh yep I see. Cheers for pointing that out. I had dismissed it doing any damage but will fix it up. I rounded all the edges on the aluminium but I am going to place some fibreglass epoxy over it and possibly a bit further down the guard also to make it more rigid. I used some washers as spacers behind the fork guard to bring it away from the upper tube also. It takes a bit of pressure to make it hit but then springs straight back out when released.

Cheers,
Trev...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I happened to have a yamaha left side guard clamp that I put on my forks. It was off of a yamaha WR426. The Yamaha clamps have two internal projecting guides that hold the guard away from the fork, and also help keep it in position when being buffeted by trail stuff. I clipped off the only outside projecting guide (very small) and used a dremel to shape the thing to fit into the smaller KX fork groove. I used zip ties to hold the brake line and centered them so they would not hit those two internal projecting guides while moving up and down. I would imagine you could buy a single yamaha OEM guide. The only thing to watch out for would be to make sure the KX forks' size one uses is the same as the yamaha fork, i.e.; 43, 46, or 48 mm. The race tech site has that info.

I opted to use the lower TP brake guide and clip off some of the fork shield to keep it from hitting. It still covers the slider completely.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I looked into the yammie guards and the mounting holes were all different. :?

Have you got any pics please ??

Cheers,
Trev...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I'll try to put a picture in my gallery sometime today. But...I only used the clamp, not the entire guard. That's why if they can be bought separately, they would be a great way of dealing with supporting the KX guard. I'll have to see if I can get my finicky camera to work....

EDIT: I have placed some pictures of the KX500 fork conversion in my gallery -
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Thanks for the pics dude. :wink:

Here's my (I hope) final setup, yet to be tested.

cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

Can anyone say Factory? Looks the goods

:butthead:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The Yamaha brakeline clamp with the 'bend' to it for high routing of the brakeline indeed has different spacing from the clamp off the KDX.

So....get KX stuff. If you want 'inside' fork guard guides (not the loop thing that clamps to the outer tube) and high cable routing, a KX setup will fit fine.

Trev: Your brakeline clamp is two different diameters to take into account the protecting tubing around the brakeline that stops AT the clamp on the KDX OEM config. You could tighten the upper diameter fit using a piece of vinyl or some other suitable filler.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I am not actually using a stock KDX pinch clamp. I am using the KX one which had a slightly different diameter than the KDX one, IE: smaller so it grip/grabs just perfect. Vinyl is SOOOO 70's anyway. :roll: :lol: **EDIT** Ahhh I see what you meant, I just forgot to slide the plastic sheath back down before clamping, my bad. :oops:

The 2004 KX guards I have also have the guide that runs INside/BEhind the guard. I modified those guides to do the same as the YZ type but just the KX loopy type slightly modified.

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If you don't want to use a piece of vinyl, use a piece of CD if that'll make you happy!! ..or maybe wrap a 2GB SD card around it. :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

WOOHOO !!! :supz:

I have finally found the source of the stiction/fork bind I have experienced since installing the KX forks. All along I thought the problem was in the assembling. I followed Vinces fork installation check list to the letter at least 10 possibly 15 times without sucess.

Here's where the prblem was... (this is not my bike)

What was happening was when I would tighten the axle nut the mushroomed axle would snag the right fork leg and it would torque it in towards the hub resulting in a misaligned fork leg. A file, a wet sand, a polish and some grease and the front end feels 10 brazillion times better. Now if I weight a peg the whole bike responds, not just ducks its bum. I'm a crappy hamper !!! :mrgreen:

Maybe we need to add this step to the check list...

To align the front forks, after tightening the caliper side pinch bolts, push and pull on the bottom of the right fork leg and make sure the fork moves freely on the axle. You can feel where the happy medium is in the center. If not allowed to centre properly it can cause stiction/fork bind. Just work it back and forth until you find where it wants to settle...

DO NOT HAMMER THE AXLE INTO PLACE. With grease and being clean it should just slide in easily.