KLX300 fork swap?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KLX300 fork swap?

Post by zomby woof »

I might be able to get a set of KLX 300 forks for the right price.
Has anybody done, or know if this is a do-able swap on a 2000 KDX?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You won't be gaining anything by doing it. Those are basically KDX forks turned upside down. If I am not mistaken.... they still have underhang...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yup, Inda is right. You'll still have no rebound adjustment, and basically the same internals you're using now. They'll look cool though if that's all you're after ;).

J.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

Thanks. It looks like an easy swap.
You lose the under hang, pick up some rigidity, and gain the proper spring rate at the same time. I have them on my KLX250, and they work a lot better than the KDX fork. I don't know why, but they're not harsh like the KDX forks. I might be able to get them for almost nothing.
If I can, I can't see why I shouldn't do it.
Ontario, Canada
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Sure, go ahead. It is a bolt on swap for the entire front end AFAIK. The fact remains that the forks are almost exactly the same as what you have now, except they may look a little cooler ;). If they work better, it is almost certainly a matter of overall condition and tuning rather than anything to do with them being "better" forks.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

I think you're right about condition.
My bike is a 2000, and the previous owner told me he never changed the fork, or shock oil in the 8 years he had it. That might account for some of the nastiness I'm feeling. I think I can get them for less than the cost of a set of springs (and they come with .38 springs), so I should be ahead of the game right there, and yes, they do look cool :mrgreen:
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

I did this swap today, and you guys were right. Direct bolt on.
I was surprised that the KLX forks actually felt softer, and plusher. That is, until I saw that preload spacer in the KDX fork. That's crazy! Looking forward to riding it now :supz:
Ontario, Canada
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Cool, looking forward to the ride report!
KC-10ENG

Post by KC-10ENG »

Hi Guys,

New to the forum, but need some advice. I own a 2004 KLX 330R not a KDX but the KDX community is doing a lot more fork swaps than the KLX community.

I already have a Stroker Perfomance suspension (Lary Roesler's Company) on my KLX. That kit entails, .75" longer KLX forks and a completely new rear linkage with a KLX shock body with KX 500 internals. it is also 1.75" longer.

Right now I can install the older kX forks, 91-96 KX500 43MM units with my current triples. But if I am going to spend the time and the money what should I install? Any Suggestions??

I also have a 2006 KTM 200XC-W with a Factory Connection set up, but I really like riding my Kawi 4T sometimes. Especially since I installed the big bore kit and pumper carb.

Thanks,
Dennis
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I don't know for sure. I would assume the steering head is the same as the KDX since the KLX front end is interchangeable with the KDX. I'd look for a complete front end from a kx125/250 or kx500.

You can look around here for some other ideas, pretty much anything that will work on the KDX SHOULD work on your KLX.
KC-10ENG

Post by KC-10ENG »

Ok,

I have done a little more research and the KDX/KLX and KX500 have the same stearing head bearing kit from All Balls. #22-1004. So if you use the 97-2004 KX-500 Triples you can use 46mm forks. That opens you up to all of the newer KX-500 forks, and KX125/250 1996-2001 forks for a swap. With spring rates getting stiffer from 96-2001, .39-.43KG/MM

If I want the newer 48mm forks I believe I would have to change a steering stem. HMM any thoughts from anyone??

Thanks Dennis
99sr220
Supporting Member

Post by 99sr220 »

Regarding the KLX300 forks? Are these the same as the KLX250 forks? The 250 is considerably heavier bike, so I was wondering if the forks may be too stiff for a KDX?
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
99sr220 wrote:Regarding the KLX300 forks? Are these the same as the KLX250 forks? The 250 is considerably heavier bike, so I was wondering if the forks may be too stiff for a KDX?
If your talking about late model KLX250s forks they have less travel. The old 90's kick only dirt KLX250 had the same forks as the 300 with softer springs I believe.
http://www.planetklx.org/

As far as them being too stiff, I doubt it. KLX300 forks are softer than KDX forks and those on the the early 250 were even softer. If it's a 250s, Japanese DS bikes are usually way undersprung for off roading.

My stock KDX is stiffer than the girl's KLX 300. Both are '05s
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

If I wanted to run an analog odometer that utilizes the stock cable, are the KLX330R forks the only usd option? Just wondering if anything else would work before I start dumping money into my stock forks.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I love my KLX fork swap. It does alot more than just "get rid of the overhang." Like many say. Much more plush and compliant on bigger faster bumps, WAY less "spaghetti flex" compared to the stockers too. Plus you can keep your stock brake, odo, axle, wheel, etc.
'00 KDX 220R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
sped66 wrote:If I wanted to run an analog odometer that utilizes the stock cable, are the KLX330R forks the only usd option? Just wondering if anything else would work before I start dumping money into my stock forks.
http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9504

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9129

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9803
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

Thanks Slick Nick. I'm looking for the least expensive way out of the stock forks & like what you did with yours. Keeping my options open for now.
Btw, I caught your "Project KDX 220R - The Rebuild" thread on another forum & found it very interesting.

Mr. Wibbens, thanks for the links... especially the last one. Now I feel like a dumba$$ for not noticing a current topic. :oops:
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<
sped66 wrote:If I wanted to run an analog odometer that utilizes the stock cable, are the KLX330R forks the only usd option? Just wondering if anything else would work before I start dumping money into my stock forks.
http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9504

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9129

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9803
You seem to be pretty proud of those three links.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Some peeps just can't find **** on there own :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I'm working on the Mods right now. I'll let everyone know what it is going to be when we get a little further.