Thanks guys for helping me out in my conversion!!

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
knowledge seeker

Thanks guys for helping me out in my conversion!!

Post by knowledge seeker »

If it wasn't for your help, I wouldn't have dare to try it.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I know you asked a question or two about 'em (the '04 KX250s?), but don't recall any final writeup on how it turned out.

How do you like 'em? Done any valve tuning (re-valving) on the forks?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
knowledge seeker

Post by knowledge seeker »

Well, it was for my son's KDX 200 & supposely the USD forks I bought were revalved by proaction (I think) for a 160 lbs rider. The original plan was to use the bike for trail riding & some cross country races but we started to get more into motocross (I know that's not the KDX's intended use). At the track the suspension would bottom hard off jumps something I fixed by applying what I've read in these forums (increasing the oil level in 10cc increments until it would lightly bottom off the biggest jump at the fastest speed he could go). Other than that my son comments he feels more confident going through the corners as the bike feels more planted. Something I was concerned about was to keep the stock front end height in relation to the rear so I could keep the stock handling characteristics. We started out by sliding the forks all the way up until the bottom surface of the clamp reached the lowest clamp limit on the forks (picked this up from another member of this forum). With that setup he feels there's no headshake coming into braking bumps from hard acceleration so we left it there. Next will be the RB's head & carb modification & also considering revalving the shock so we'll see.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'We started out by sliding the forks all the way up until the bottom surface of the clamp reached the lowest clamp limit on the forks..'

Some USD forks have changing diameters of outside tube..which is why there is sometimes less of an opportunity to lower the bike than you have space to move 'em. It's good you're aware of that limitation. Obviously trying to clamp to a tapered portion of a tube is going to be less than satisfactory in the stability department.

Anyway..thanks for the update. It's good to hear!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!