VirtualVarmint's Fork Conversion

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

VirtualVarmint's Fork Conversion

Post by Varmint »

Thanks to all the folks and invaluable posts on KDXRider I was able to install 2002 KX125 forks on my 2003 KDX200 without any problems. If you want to jump to the pictures, jump down to the bottom of this post and click the link to the PhotoBucket slideshow. If you want to hear all the details, read on.

It was a balmy August morning in a quiet New England suburban neighborhood. Sounds of children playing could be heard in the distance. OK. OK. I know; not that detailed. Here we go…

I scored an entire 2002 KX front end on eBay; complete triple, forks, wheel (and fairly new tire!), disc, axle, brake caliper, and MC. No fender. Anyway, all it needed was new fork seals. Put those on order with some Belray 5w fork oil. Since this was my first mod, I wanted to make sure I had a “oh crap, I messed up" back up plan. So I posted a request on KDXRider for a backup triple and ArkansasXC obliged. Cool.

I contacted Ron Black to do the stem press out and in. I could have done it locally but firffighter’s post (http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7296) convinced me that Ron would do it right. I packed up the KDX triple and required KX parts and shipped them in a flat rate box to Ron. Ron got the package and didn’t like the condition of the bottom bearing, so I ordered one online and shipped it to him. Ron got this back to me lickety-split and man did he pack it well. All critical parts were wrapped in foam and the custom sleeve he made was in its own container. He even shipped back the bad bearing!

While I waited for the triples to come back, I performed a fork service and replaced the oil and dust seals. Used Belray 5W fork oil and filled to 120mm. This took a couple of hours; my first time and I wanted to take my time.

Once the triples came in, the next step was to tear the old KDX front end off. Firstly, per a post from CC, I measured and marked two points on the bike so I could restore the front end to the same height as the KDX setup. The KX forks are longer and I didn’t want a raked-out chopper. I also took pictures during the tear down to ensure proper cable routing when I installed the KX front end. Assembly was a snap. Greased the heck out of the bearings, installed the KX lock nut under the KDX nut to raise the top triple, slid in the RB custom sleeve, locked it down; all while making sure cables were routed correctly. Next, installed the forks into the triple and raised them 17mm past the top clamp. I loosely tightened the bottom clamp, installed the wheel, installed and bled the brakes (new pads and springs) and then performed a couple “lock the brake” compressions. I read that procedure on KDXRider; supposed to get things lined up a little better. (Don’t kill me, CC!) I tightened things up, installed the bars and barkbusters and set the clickers to the factory settings of R-12, C-10. Total time: 2.5 hours; including BSing with my helper buddies.

Ride report. I live in CT and ride in MA as well. The one place in CT has everything from deep mud, rutted hills, baby-head-sized-loose rocks, boulders, more mud, lots of water, tree roots, mud, super tight single track, whoops; you get the idea. MA is rocks, big ROCKs. No flat land around here. On the first ride, I loved the way the bike handled. I was able to skip over little stuff and turn easier. I was happy. I felt that the rebound was a little slow. I’m no suspension expert by any means but I think I have the terminology correct. The issue was on rolling whoops. I felt the bike was not prepared for the next whoop; like it was still at the bottom of the compression. So when I got home I gave the rebound a little “how’s your father” and it’s better now.

So now the meat and potatoes was done; time for the gravy. I ordered, from RM, a Polisport number plate, Polisport fork guards, Factory Effex fork stickers (stickers make me faster), Tusk 7/8 to 1 1/8 bar risers, Tusk Aluminum fat bars, D-Flex fat bar barkbuster adapters. All to “sex-up” the bike. Really though, I always felt like the ergos of the KDX bars were a little low so raising them up made me more comfortable.

OK, here comes the damage. Inda, PLEASE DO NOT GIVE MY WIFE AN ACCOUNT ON KDXRIDER.NET. If you do, my obituary will be posted soon thereafter.

Item, Category, Subtotal
2002 KX125 Front End, Parts, $167.50
Shipping, Shipping, $55.00
2000 KDX Triple (extra), Parts, $41.50
Fork Seal and Wiper Kit, Parts, $24.29
Fork Seal Driver, Tools, $35.99
Fork Oil Level Tool, Tools,$17.99
Fork Oil, Chemicals, $26.84
RB Designs Stem Swap, Labor, $35.00
Shipping, Shipping, $19.85
Lower Bearing/Race, Parts, $39.58
Shipping, Shipping,$7.95
Big Bars, Parts, $35.99
Big Bar Handguard Adapter, Parts, $15.29
Big Bar Riser Kit, Parts, $31.49
Front Brake Lever, Parts, $5.39
Number Plate, Parts, $16.19
Fork Guards, Parts, $22.49
Fork Guard Stickers, Parts, $12.59
Shipping, Shipping, $7.00
Front Brake Bolt (stealership), Parts, $3.50
Front Brake Springs, Parts, $20.00

Total = $617.92

Realize that you don't need all the tools and sexy parts I bought. I wanted them.

To do: Bump stops. Right now the forks hit the tank. I’ve taken into consideration a few techniques to resolve this but haven’t decided yet. I am having way too much fun riding my KXDX!

Thanks again to all those mentioned and Skipro as well since it was his post (http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=146) that got the ball rolling.

Oh yeah, THE PICTURES! (Photobucket slideshow)
http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/ww33 ... =slideshow

Comments (be kind)/Questions/Concerns?

VV
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
plb

Post by plb »

You will LOVE the front end now!!!

One of the BEST improvement you can do for a KDX.

:supz:
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Did you play with valving? Did your forks have bladders?
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!