YZ fork Conversion

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
pElf28p

YZ fork Conversion

Post by pElf28p »

So I picked up a set of 02 yzf450 forks, a yzf front wheel, brake caliper and lever all for 40 bucks. I would like to see if this set up would work for the conversion (01 kdx 220). The problem; I have no idea where to start to see if this can work. I was thinking that I could use this forum as a central hub for advice and guidance. Is there any interest to see if yzf parts will work for this conversion? If so, any guidance would be appreciated. I figure there should be some preliminary measurements I need to make to figure out what triple clamp to get, yes? Thanks for any info you guys have for me.
-Joe from CT
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I think you would need a KX clamp to start with so that the stem will fit. Measure the upper tubes you have to make sure you get the right clamp.

The problem then will be getting the spacing right for the wheel and caliper.

I think if I was to put YZ forks on a KDX, I would try real hard to get the Air/oil seperate units, or Dual chamber units that showed up on the '05 and later YZ125. Those things would warrant the extra hassle of fitment because they work so well.

You may get lucky and all fits well with no big mods, just be aware of what to look at.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
zz3gmc

Post by zz3gmc »

Just so you aren't looking for the wrong year parts, if it is from a 02 YZF, it would have to have come off of a YZ426. The 450 came out in 03. The 02 YZ250 2stroke shares the same forks and probably all the full size YZs in 02 also. I have a 02 YZ2502t and a 02 426.