02 kx forks

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

HeY!! If it's not 100% precise...then we don't wanna hear about it!

:wink:

Or....Sure, the idea of measuring them yourself works fine..just don't get hung up on the measurement spec part of it (which you covered). One mm of movement isn't gong to tell you anything.

Re: '..it works well enough for many peeps.'

No intention of implying otherwise.

Cheers!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

I had to have the stem machined down a tad to be able to press the bearing on all the way. Cost me 10$ (but thats a long story for itself) I bought some long fork skins from the shop and some grapphite looking stikers and covered the portion between the fork skins and the bottom clamp. Those skins are loooong, probably enough to cut them and make 4 sets of short ones. They also say KTM on them but that will be behind the fork guards so nobody will see.

The axle I bought has some bad threads on it so I'll hve to see if it's usable or not.

I'm also looking into a new way of attaching my brake line to the guard to preven the mild damage that was done to the 97's from reoccuring.

If all goes according to plan the test ride will be thursday night and the real ride on friday or saturday depending on the weather. It's getting cold up here and the lakes are about ready to freeze over, soon there will be too much snow to ride. :mrgreen:
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Freeze over? Huh? It's only September!

:hmm:

Where's global warming when you need it?

If you ever do cut forkskins, be sure to put a bar tack on the seam at the cut, same as on the finished ends.

Consider the source

muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Apparently global warming is an option we did not get. Seriously though those conditions are only up in the mountains (hills for some, 2000 ft above sea level) any snow before november usualy melts away. But october is pretty cold for riding. Some people stop riding for warm weather , we stop for cold. If I had a snomobile I'd actualy be happy to see snow, but I only have a shovel.
Gallery!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yanno...sit on that shovel, use the handle to hang onto (sticking from between your legs)...a shovel can make a pretty good sled! Is that close enough?

Consider the source

muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Right...but slidding down a hill also requires you to climb back up.
Gallery!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

That's where your FRIEND'S snow machine comes in. YOU get the ride back up, HE gets to fix it, haul it, store it, maintain it.

Consider the source

muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Turns out the axle is no good at all and on top of that the guy figured he'd toss in a rear wheel spacer instead of the 36 mm one. I am now officialy agrevated. this is taking for ever.

On a side note my buddy bought a ktm 400 last month and after comparing my kdx to his 400 he decided to keep his KDX (he was thinking of selling the pour thing). His KDX is completely stock (besides my modified oem forks). He's had the bike since it was new in 01 and I think he is still running the stock chain and sprokets, he just recently took the stock tires off.

I will be riding a rental tomorow but at least it's a KDX.
Gallery!
jrnolan

Post by jrnolan »

I am in the middle of doing the mid valve, daisy pedal, bladder removal and base re-valve. Is this thread dead with some other that followed up on what you guys ended up with?