Stem / Clamp alignment

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Stem / Clamp alignment

Post by JoKDX220r »

I wonder if the Stem and Top clamp hole must be in perfect alignment ?

I have a kx 250 1997 forks set on my Kdx 220 2003 and noticed the stem is not centred with the top clamp hole...

Thanks.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

indeed it should be. You need some sort of shim/bushing/sleeve to take up the slack between the kdx stem and kx upper triple.
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

You may have a bearing race that is not fully, or properly seated straight causing this misalignment.(That is if it is not straight in the steering tube. You will have to see if it is centered without the top clamp.) (Ok you know what the say about assuming, but here it goes anyway.)

I ASSUME that you have the fork tubes in the lower clamp and are trying to us them to locate the top clamp. Stop trying won't work. The clamps locate the forks not the other way around. Make sure the stem is straight and then properly bush the stem in the clamp to locate it properly. It will them locate the fork tubes properly.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
skythrasher wrote:You may have a bearing race that is not fully, or properly seated straight causing this misalignment.(That is if it is not straight in the steering tube. You will have to see if it is centered without the top clamp.) (Ok you know what the say about assuming, but here it goes anyway.)

I ASSUME that you have the fork tubes in the lower clamp and are trying to us them to locate the top clamp. Stop trying won't work. The clamps locate the forks not the other way around. Make sure the stem is straight and then properly bush the stem in the clamp to locate it properly. It will them locate the fork tubes properly.
You are keeping in mind that the top clamp from a KX has a larger diameter hold for the stem than a KDX top clamp, yes? There needs to be something there to take up the extra space.
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

juliend wrote:You are keeping in mind that the top clamp from a KX has a larger diameter hold for the stem than a KDX top clamp, yes? There needs to be something there to take up the extra space.
>|<>QBB<
skythrasher wrote: Make sure the stem is straight and then properly bush the stem in the clamp to locate it properly. It will then locate the fork tubes properly.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

.025 shim stock works
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
skythrasher wrote:
juliend wrote:You are keeping in mind that the top clamp from a KX has a larger diameter hold for the stem than a KDX top clamp, yes? There needs to be something there to take up the extra space.
>|<>QBB<
skythrasher wrote: Make sure the stem is straight and then properly bush the stem in the clamp to locate it properly. It will then locate the fork tubes properly.
:supz:
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I like the beer can method. Kill 2 birds with one stone.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
skythrasher wrote:I like the beer can method. Kill 2 birds with one stone.
Beer can?? Show me! I'm dealing with the same issue using an aftermarket yz250 top triple. I was able to use a piece of copper flashing bent around into a bushing shape. Fit's very snug, perfect even. I'd switch it out for beer can though just to say I used a beer can for my front end conversion :D.

J.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I had a sleeve made.... works much better than shim stock. If you could find some copper pipe... that may even work.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoKDX220r »

We made a bushing

and I followed skipro3's instructions
But its still really hard to tell if they are perfectly aligned... :?
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Check out the sticky on top of page. See if Ron Black will make you one. He made one for me and worked perfectly.
'