Man!, so many different conversion setups

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
knowledge seeker

Man!, so many different conversion setups

Post by knowledge seeker »

I've read a lot of conversion posts & like to ask anyone that has performed the swap to an '06 model because we'd like to start gathering parts for it. I've already bought a set of "04 KX250F forks supposely revalved by pro action (it also has a vortex top clamp). We have several questions:

1) With the '04 forks, can we use the stock KDX caliper/ brake line arrangement?
2) Do we need an '04 KX front wheel & axle?
3) Does the KDX stem needs knurling?

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

1. Test fit
2. I would assume so
3. I would assume it would need some machine work.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There isn't a list of every possibility, what it takes, what you need.

Generally speaking, a couple of avenues of approach are good to keep in mind.

1. If you want to know what parts interchange between bikes, looking up the part numbers may be helpful. When you find a caliper PN that matches between model numbers it's a pretty good bet (like...perfect) that what that caliper bolts up TO will be the same spec-wise.

2. Getting as many parts from the same model that fit together will save a lot of 'what fits what' questions. If you get a front-end off an 'XX bike WITH the front wheel/spacers/axle, there in no question about whether or not they will fit.

Your 1&2 questions might be answered with some research on part numbers. Use an online microfiche..like RonAyers has.

Your #3 question simply depends. On what? On whether it needs it or not.

Keep in mind that having a press fit of a brazillion pounds isn't necessary. The stem has a clip on the bottom that will prevent it from being pulled through the bottom clamp....and when bolted to the top clamp, it's not going anywhere.

There are cylindrical press fit locking agents (green) that are good to several thousandth's.

You did ask if anyone had used '06 parts...and hopefully if someone has, they'll chime in.

Good luck!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
knowledge seeker

Post by knowledge seeker »

Thanks a lot guys!!
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

06 KDX used 02 KX-125 forks. NOT KXF 04's
I did not need to knurl the stem.
Used an 05 hub. You need to use the correct axle for the year of T-clamp because of it's width. A lot of front hubs are the same width you just need the correct spacers again for the T-clamp width and off set for the rotor.
KDX rotor worked but needed different (thread size) rotor bolts.
Caliper was a direct bolt on you just need to route the brake line as KDX and attach to the upper fork guard.
You'll have to fabricate headlight brackets if a headlight is used and a fork stop.
Actually the swap is pretty easy and will make more sense when you tear things apart and start comparing. It takes a few head scratches and Huh'sss so don't expect to do this Sat and ride Sunday.
04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Any fork can be made to work..some are easier than others to make fit. While KX forks are used most often because of bearing similarities, that does not necessarily preclude other forks. KDX'ers have used RM, YZs...lots'a stuff.

Like this.

Again...it all depends on what you're after. Some have machined their own axles and spacers. Some have made ther own stems.

Truth is, I missed the 'F' part in the OP....and the first mentioned 'F' doesn't gibe too well with the KX wheel question.

Anyway...thanks to The Oldtimer 'fer pointing out the 'F' part.

Re: '...so don't expect to do this Sat and ride Sunday.'

Sounds like the gauntlet has been thrown! Let the fork-swap-challenge begin!!! :pop:

I wanna hear all about it!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!