Would it be worth it?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
revodrew
Supporting Member

Would it be worth it?

Post by revodrew »

As i stated in my friends post, I just bought a 1990 200, for a 1000 bucks. Would it be worth it to spend half or more of what I paid for the bike in the first place to replace the front end?

I race quads and understand the benefit of having a top of the line shock set up like fox, custom axis or whatever fits you best but this bike was bought because it was cheap.

If it makes that much of a differance, then heck Ill do it but I just dont want to be dissapointed. I am not an "A" rider by anymeans, will it still benefit me to do the change over?

Thanks,
Drew
2007 YFZ450 Bill Ballace Edition
Hiper CF-1 Beadlock wheels rapped with Razor1
Houser +7/8 STem
FASST Company Flexx bars
Pro Filter
Yoshi RS-2 slip-on
Custom Quadbuiler.net graphics
GYTR Nerfs
PRM Summitt Bumper
Pro-Armor Skids
Maguara Hydro-clutch

1990 KDX200
FMF Full Exhaust
Renthal Sprockets
Arai Knucklebuster
Alot more that I dont really know what it is, this is my first bike! LOL
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

It will definatly be beneficial. I don't think it should be costing 500$ to do the conversion. It cost me less than that even with high shipping cost to canada. Just be be patient and wait for low priced good quality parts, and there are plenty out there.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

for 500.00 I'd look into doing a hybrid. Otherwise thats a lot for forks. Deals are out there. I surprised myself by winning a set of 2000 CR250 forks for less than 100.00 on ebay.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I don't think so. I think those older front ends were great for those bikes. If it were me, I'd just ride and enjoy it. If it turns out you want something different, leave the bike stock, sell it and get a newer model and upgrade that one. My opinion any way...
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
revodrew
Supporting Member

Post by revodrew »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:I don't think so. I think those older front ends were great for those bikes. If it were me, I'd just ride and enjoy it. If it turns out you want something different, leave the bike stock, sell it and get a newer model and upgrade that one. My opinion any way...
Well, I have been thinking bout selling my quad to get a yzf250 to start riding and want to keep this bike strictly for woods riding/racing. So, if possible I would like to keep this bike and just make it as competative as possible as cheap as possible!

Thanks for help fellas!
2007 YFZ450 Bill Ballace Edition
Hiper CF-1 Beadlock wheels rapped with Razor1
Houser +7/8 STem
FASST Company Flexx bars
Pro Filter
Yoshi RS-2 slip-on
Custom Quadbuiler.net graphics
GYTR Nerfs
PRM Summitt Bumper
Pro-Armor Skids
Maguara Hydro-clutch

1990 KDX200
FMF Full Exhaust
Renthal Sprockets
Arai Knucklebuster
Alot more that I dont really know what it is, this is my first bike! LOL
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

There are those who race them, and the geometry is great for trail riding and competition back in the day. However, newer bikes weigh a lot less, have arguably more power, and are generally suited more for racing. It is what it is and you can spend a bunch of money trying to make it something else. I spent about as much on my hybrid build as I did on the original bike. But I also dropped 20-30lbs off of it, and had some huge suspension upgrades along the way.

If you really want a great woods bike the KDX is hard to beat. But if you want competitive racing there really isn't a cheap way to get a 19 year old bike to compete with new bikes. First suspension will run about 400 or more by the time you get it swapped and dialed in, then engine will take another 600 in carb and porting work and pipe, and you'll still be 20lbs heavier than the competition.

Just to make you aware of the cost. However if you do a hybrid figure you'll already have 200.00 in the suspension and then you'll need another 600.00 for the rolling chassis. The only thing I miss is the KDX seat. My CR seat is too hard for long trail rides.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think you need to put it in perspective.

First off... most of us could stand to lose 20lbs or so. Lose the weight and there is your 20lb savings. :wink:

Secondly... Just how fast are you going to go in the woods? The KDX is known for it's lowend so it is not lacking there... at least from my experience. A KDX has a 18 inch wheel on the rear which is tailor made for woods work as you avoid more pinch flats. The turning radius is tighter on the KDX than any other bike I know of and that is good for getting out of tight situations.

The last thing to remember is... Ricky Carmicheal could whip any of us on a Z50... so it really all comes down to ability and that is going to be your biggest gain in any department.

I say enjoy the KDX... it is a great bike and allot more cost effective and bulletproof than any other bike out there... but that is my opinion.

WORD! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:First off... most of us could stand to lose 20lbs or so. Lose the weight and there is your 20lb savings. :wink:

Just lost 15 lbs. I'm going back home in a week and I doubt I'll be able to keep it off.
Gallery!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I lost 20lbs in the last month.... cut out sugar completely, no bread or pasta... mixed drinks only and lots of stress.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

now thats good. Nomather how hard i try, cutting sugar is just impossible.
Gallery!
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Notice the avatar, Inda has been living on the flesh of small children. :grin: Double check any advice he gives you about dieting.

But he does have a point about dropping weight, if I lost 30lbs my total riding weight would be down 55lbs from last year with my stock kdx.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
muddertrucker wrote:now thats good. Nomather how hard i try, cutting sugar is just impossible.
Splenda.... :wink:

No desserts or candy..... and Pepsi MAX!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****