KDX stem to KX T-clamp question

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
firffighter
Supporting Member

KDX stem to KX T-clamp question

Post by firffighter »

Hey all,

I am in the process of doing the conversion. I have a '03 KX complete front end and have a '02 KDX220.

My question is once the KDX stem is pressed into the KX bottom T-clamp, the KDX bottom bearing does not slide down all the way and seat on the bottom T-clamp like it does on the stock setup. Is this were a spacer needs to go? If so, does it go between the bearing and the T-clamp or between the snap ring and T-clamp?
'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No spacer there! It is a press fit bearing....

Basically put the triple tree in the freezer over night... heat the bearing in the oven to about 200 degrees... use gloves! slide the bearing over the greased stem and use a piece of chain link top rail fencing pole over the stem and drive the bearing home with a lead hammer. (I have used a drift before just working my way around the bearing... but I am not recommending that method.)
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

What he's saying is the stem is poking up through his T clamp too far and the stem diameter is larger at the base of the KX clamp than it was on the KDX clamp. Is that right firfighter?
Keep in mind the bearing is pressed on, but it's not a very tight press.

Photos might help too.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

I think I have uncovered something here and I am starting to understand some of the posts about this conversion.

I here some say the stem presses right in on certain years and I would bet that it is the later years that press right in and no knurling. Then there are other years (older ones I would expect) the need the knurl. This is the .006" between the set ups I have been reading about.

I think Kaw changed the stem a little on the later years to be more like the KX. Kaw could have up-dated this part and could still have the same part number.

My plan at this point is to make the bearing seat right, I will do this in one of two ways;

1) Machine the stem down to the bearing diameter (-.006") where it sticks through the T-clamp.

-or-

2) Re-cut the wire clip groove that locates the stem in the T-clamp.

My only reservation on the # 2 idea is if the stem is lowered 6 mm is it going to be long enough to engage the top T-clamp. I have read that this swap means you need a spacer up on top where the upper T-clamp.

Any ideas.....

Ron
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The reason we use a spacer under the top clamp is because the KX forks are longer and the top clamp is not as thick as the KDX's stock clamp.... to get the correct height, the forks have to be raised in the clamps. The spacer allows room to raise the forks more and allow enough room to mount the handlebars without interference with the forks along with making up the thickness difference between the KX and KDX top clamp. It just works out well that way....

I would still just use a washer/spacer to make up that difference below the bearing and everything should work out well.... But... mine is not set completely flush with the lower tree....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Thanks Vince for your input. I appreciate you and Ron and Jerry trying to figure this one out.

I think the spacer under the bearing should work out. I was thinking that even if it didnt, it would be easy to try Ron's other options.

I have both a KX top clamp and a BRP top clamp that I can try, so I have some options.

Any other ideas?
'
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

There is another way, if you want to avoid swapping stems around...

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... c&&start=0
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

Just curious, did the stem press flush with the bottom of the T-clamp or did it recess?

Here's a pic of the alum spacer I made.

Image[/img]
04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

firffighter, don't buy any shim stock for the top clamp, I have some you can have.
Last edited by MXOldtimer on 06:51 pm Apr 15 2009, edited 1 time in total.
04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

I want to thank everyone that has helped with this project.

So this is what I did; I pressed the stem back out again and machined the stem where it was .006" too big (about 3.5 mm in length) and pressed the stem back in.

Now the bearing will go all the way down and seat on the T-clamp as it should. I elected not to go with the spacer at the bottom to seat the bearing on. This will also keep the stem 3.5 mm higher not having the spacer and the bearing will seat all the way down.

This was an easy project once everything was figured out (thanks to everyone's impute).

Thank you,
Ron
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:supz: Good deal Ron!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I too thank everyone for their help!

This site is a big reason that I went back to the KDX over the orange bikes.

Ron is certainly the best and I couldnt have picked any better to do the work!

Doug, I will take you up on the shim stock when I start to reassemble everything.

Cant wait to get everything back on and try her out!

I will get some pics up when I get it all back together.
'
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Anyone run 2 stem nuts like this?

By doing 2 of them my top nut screws on perfectly and I have good clearance for the bars and it allows me quite of bit of room to move the forks up if needed.

'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yup... it's the norm! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

OK. Good.

I just have 2 pieces to left to get it all going :supz:

No problem with brake routing :grin:

Modified my own headlight mounting system :grin:

The top T-clamp clears the tank on left turns, but oh so slightly hits the tank on the right.

Pics of the finished project next week. I promise :wink:
'